What's new

Help with speakers conections (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I just received everything, and I'm about to hook up everything.

I have read some forums in were some recommended to buy HOME DEPOTS 12gauge cable. Now I live in guatemala, and we dont have Home depot here, and I was thinking on buying it from the internet, but because of the weight it will be very expensive. So I'm seaching in the local market. But I need to know a couple of things before I buy it, maybe you can help me,

1) Is the 12 gauge cable from Home depot a standard paralel cable (like the one we use to make electical conections)

2) Is there any difference between paralel cable and speaker cable.

3) Does expensive brands like Monster or AR which have a oxigen free line, makes a difference.

4) The largest conection that I'm going to do is 30 feet ( for surrounds) do you think 12 gauge is ok, or do you think 14 guage will be enough.

The only thing that worried me is that I found paralel cable in guatemala for about $0.30 a meter or $0.10 a foot. So I'm kind of worry that it isn't the right cable.

Thanks for any informations or advise you could give me,

Pablo Abularach

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
") Is the 12 gauge cable from Home depot a standard paralel cable (like the one we use to make electical conections)
Yes it is 2-conductor, insulated cable.
2) Is there any difference between paralel cable and speaker cable.
Basically. No.
3) Does expensive brands like Monster or AR which have a oxigen free line, makes a difference.
No. Some claim it does. No tests have proven this.
4) The largest conection that I'm going to do is 30 feet ( for surrounds) do you think 12 gauge is ok, or do you think 14 guage will be enough.
14 Ga will work fine. 12 would be better. If your speakers are 4 ohms I would recommend 12 Ga.
The only thing that worried me is that I found paralel cable in guatemala for about $0.30 a meter or $0.10 a foot. So I'm kind of worry that it isn't the right cable.
Is this wire designed for AC electrical service? If so it is probably OK. Hard to say since I do not know how are things in Guatemala. :) Oh brother!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
John,

Thanks for the information, so if you were me you will go for $0.10 per foot. I will spend about $5 in cable for all room. Or do you think I should go with another.

Thanks,
Pablo

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I just think its fabulous speaking to people in different parts of the world! Pablo, John has pretty much nailed things down. Most, not all, speaker wire tends to be OFC these days. I'd be looking at 12 gauge all around and I'd be looking for wire that has a high strand count which makes for greater flexibility. There must be generic wire out there which you may be able to find at department stores, building supply places, and probably places where they sell stuff for car stereos. Happy listening!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Chu,

thanks for the info,

I also think this is the best forum I have ever seen, you can interchange opinions, comments, recomendations, suggestion, etc, from every part of the world.

If it wasn't for all the poeple here that suggested and help me, I wouldnt have made the best decition for my money and my needs.

Thanks
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks