What's new

Which HDTV? (1 Viewer)

I'm planning on buying an HDTV within the next 6 months. I would like it to be 51-65" and widescreen. Ideally I would like to get out for under 3K. I'm just starting to research different models and was wondering if anyone had any preferences? What should I look for as far as outputs go? And what other things should I be looking for?
Where are some good places to look online? If I can't get it online I will end up at Best Buy probably since that's the only place that sells them near me.
Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The new Toshiba 57H81 or 65H81 would be a good choice for you. I know that the 57H81 is showing up in stores now, and can be had for under $3000. I have the 50H81 and am just thrilled with it! :)
Try to find another local dealer... Is there a Sears nearby? They will pricematch the best online price you can find. Try to avoid buying a large ticket item from Best Buy. If you want to know why, read the following thread:
Employee may never make large purchase from Best Buy again
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The HS30 is a nice TV, but he was looking for a widescreen... The new Toshibas seem like a good bet. Mitsubishi is also coming out with their new widescreen models, but people seem less enthusiastic about those than their predecessors...
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Ryan_L_M

Auditioning
I have a Pioneer Elite Pro 610. Great Projection. Its worth a look. (I havent seen a better projection personally)
I payed about 4800 for mine, but there is a model below mine that is a 52 or 53 inch, Depending on sales I have seen it even around 3500 range.
But - at least check out the TV. Its worth it.

Thanks for all the info. I will check out all of the mentioned models. Looks like the Toshiba's fit well with my preferences and budget but I will look into the othes as well.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A vote for the Pioneer standard line of HDTVs. The big advantage of the Elite set is its excellent line doubler. However, in my humble opinion, that advantage is only apparent when watching broadcast NTSC (or VHS tapes, etc.). With progressive DVD and HD, the line doubler in the Elite is not being used. With progressive DVD or HD, I feel the picture quality (Standard vs. Elite) is virtually identical. And, again IMHO, I feel the Pioneer sets are unmatched in picture quality, not to mention build quality. Pioneer "invented" state-of-the-art rear projection television.
I have seen the Pioneer SD-532-HD5 (53") and the Pioneer SD-582-HD5 (58") at various (but not all) Costco stores for $2499 and $2999 respectively.
Note: Pioneer is releasing new models in a month or so. Reportedly, the new models will not have "lock in full" when presented with a progressive signal. However, the Panasonic RP91 DVD player makes the "lock in full" situation a moot point. (These new sets are, obviously, the reason that the previous models can be found at reduced prices at places such as Costco.)
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks