What's new

Which DVD player would be better? (1 Viewer)

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
This is the TV I am thinking about getting and I am wondering if I should use the dvd player built in it or should I get a diff. DVD player.

i am looking at this dvd player but I have heard that if your TV dosent have HDCP (whatever that is) it won't work with the dvi output.
or
should I go with just a regular progressive scan dvd player.

so should I go with dvd player in tv, Samsung dvd player, or cheaper progressive scan dvd player without dvi output.

Please help, I'm stupid.

right now I have about a 3 year old Onkyo dvd player that isn't progresive scan but has component video and has a great pic. one thing I do not like though is when you hit stop and let it sit for 3mins it resets to the beginning. most dvd players you have to hit stop twice to get it to do that. so if anyone know of any dvd players that do that same thing as mine please let me know so I avoid those.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In the end, if your quite happy with the built in DVD player, you should use it. I mean, for me, I'd love to have some rack space back in my setup.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Jason, that Samsung DVD player will work with the TV, but you won’t be able to use the DVD players up-conversion to 1080i . This is because this feature only works through the DVI output and your TV has no DVI input. Therefore I’d not purchase that DVD player—its main feature won’t be of any use to you.

I’m not a fan of DVD players being included in a set, but I can understand why people like the idea (you do save on rack space and everything looks neater). But as long as you are going to but a set with one already built-in, I’d just go with that and not worry about getting another one right away.

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
i don't know much about this stuff but will it look just as good using that one or getting a seperate progressive scan dvd player. Also, will the Samsung look better than a diff progressive scan by using it's component out or are they all about the same.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No the Samsung will look worse than the top-rated DVD players on the component video output. The best players are the ones with the Faroudja de-interlacer like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600,DVD-910. Unless you use the DVI port on that Samsung - forget it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks