What's new

Which black and white show would you MOST like to see on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Hank, thanks for the reply. Hehe yeah, your not kidding about the good news/bad news, and I agree with you on the dilemma. Even the episodes on PD are mixed between showing musical numbers or cutting them.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Though I already cast my vote for M SQUAD a few posts back, I just remembered a video link that will give the uninitiated a good sample of what Boris Karloff's THRILLER is like:

THRILLER teaser/promo + Season 1 episode #36: PIGEONS FROM HELL

Included are some choice clips from the following episodes (in the order they are shown):

"Hay-fork & Bill-hook" (episode #20)

"The Purple Room" (episode #7), the series' first horror episode, written & directed by TWILIGHT ZONE veteran Douglas Heyes

"Well of Doom" (episode #23), with Henry Daniell and Richard "Jaws" Kiel, directed by John Brahm (THE LODGER, HANGOVER SQUARE)

"The Cheaters" (episode #15), with Harry Townes, also directed by John Brahm, story by Robert "PSYCHO" Bloch

"Trio for Terror" (episode #25), directed by Ida Lupino, story by August Derleth

"The Hungry Glass" (episode #16), with William Shatner & Russell Johnson, another Robert Bloch story, directed by Douglas Heyes

"The Incredible Doktor Markesan" (Season 2, episode #59), with Boris Karloff and Carolyn Kearney, directed by Robert Florey (MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS), story by August Derleth

The full episode, "Pigeons from Hell", stars Brandon de Wilde (SHANE), directed by John Newland (host/director of ONE STEP BEYOND, director of DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK) written by John Kneubuhl (creator of WILD WILD WEST's Dr. Loveless), from a short story by CONAN creator Robert E. Howard.

--there's about 30 seconds of dead space on the Google video before the 6-minute THRILLER promo begins. Hit the first of the two buttons on the lower right to view it in a "Full Screen" window. The promo and PIGEONS FROM HELL episode, viewed together, run just under an hour.

Note: the material in the link is from an old print source (likely 16mm), so it looks somewhat washed-out/murky. The material Universal has is crisp & clear, with deep contrasts; it would look at least as good as CBS/Paramount's releases of THE FUGITIVE and THE UNTOUCHABLES.

-Pete "hopin' for THRILLER: SEASON 1 in time for Halloween 2008" Fitzgerald

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE DEFENDERS, HAWAIIAN EYE, MAVERICK, the remaining NAKED CITYs, DICK POWELL THEATER. and non-pd FOUR STAR PLAYHOUSEs. I have been watching volume 2 of THE FUGITIVE: Season One tonight: Wow! Great writing, great direction, great production values, superb b-w noirish camerawork--what a wonderful time character actors had during the Sixties!!

odious_m

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Cox
Maverick, Dobie, M Squad or Jack Benny. Any or all of those would be heaven for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks