What's new

Which Amelie: US or UK SE is better? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_K

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that the UK edition has DTS track but the US edition has probably few more extras.

Is the commentary identical?
What is the difference in extras?

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I could've sworn I saw a limited release specs when it first came out in France -- the casing was a lunchbox containing all the goods.
What happened to this release -- did it actually get released this way, did the final specs change before the French version was released, was I imagining things? I checked the comparison site from the link above, but it did not show a "lunchbox" version.
Thanks!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget if you opt for the PAL version the soundtrack is sped up by 4%. Whether you notice this is another matter, but it's something to consider.

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget if you opt for the NTSC version the horizontal resolution is reduced by 20%. Whether you notice this is another matter, but it's something to consider.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, I went for the PAL release. I prefer NTSC, but when Virgin are doing the 'just a commentary and DTS' release in a nice looking box with the soundtrack CD its a bargain.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I could've sworn I saw a limited release specs when it first came out in France -- the casing was a lunchbox containing all the goods.

What happened to this release -- did it actually get released this way, did the final specs change before the French version was released, was I imagining things? I checked the comparison site from the link above, but it did not show a "lunchbox" version.

Yes, the limited edition was released and sold out. If you look on eBay, you might still find copies going for about $100 and up. The downside is that it doesn't have English subtitles.

And whether you can actually hear this somewhat debatable notion of a 4% increase in speed of sound then the decision is yours! The R2 edition is superb!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Does an R2 DVD have the better resolution, or a PAL monitor?
If you're watching it on an NTSC monitor it may not make a difference. But there are a lot of NTSC TVs nowadays that can handle higher resolutions than NTSC offers. I don't know if that will make any difference, though, since the player converts the PAL output to NTSC and presumably eliminates all that extra resolution in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks