What's new

Where to get PFE release of The Final Countdown? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I know about the abysmal quality of the transfer, etc with the release of The Final Countdown from Pacific Family Entertainment.

I saw several weeks ago that they were available at a reasonable price from DVDEmpire, but now they are no longer listed there.

Is there anywhere to get these for less than $20 each? It looks like PFE is now selling these for $27 plus shipping, which is just way too much for me.

Thanks,

Matt

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
Believe me, you dont want this disk. I felt the same as you feel and bought it in spite of what everyone said. This disk is criminal!! No chapter stops, every digital artifact imaginable, crappy sound, no anamorphic enhancement, no extras to speak of. Honestly, you would do better with an old Beta or VHS tape. Iam not exagerating!! This is by far the worst DVD in my decent sized collection.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It sounds like an overseas bootleg from LaserDisc, (if there was one), would be better than this trash they put out.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I've been reading about all the horrors of PFE's release, but I was browsing my local videostore and they had it for rent on the shelves. I didnt rent it but the box looks like somebody printed it off on their inkjet printer and there's a big white box on the back that looks like it would've contained the SE features that were first speculated but now it only says Pacific Family Entertainment in it. Looks like a very cheap release.

ChrisPi

Auditioning
The terrible transfer is extremely discouraging. I first watched this movie with my dad a loooong time ago, and loved it. Frankly, I still do. It's got nostalgic value, plus what's cooler than when a F-14 plays around in the air with a Zero? And time travel! Oy! :)
I should check e-bay to see if anybody's getting rid of the DVD at a cheaper price just to have it in some form. I had it on a old VHS tape, which has long since broken. I'd like to get it in any format.
Any hopes of re-release?
oh, and this is my first post, so please excuse any stupidity :D

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that the region 4 disk was put out by " United Artists Company ". I am not sure if this is MGM/UA or not, but if it is I sure hope they put it out in region 1 some how,like get the copyrights from P.F.E!.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not MGM

There was some rumors that Mel Gibson's Icon Productions may own enough rights, but frankley, don't hold your breath. Bottom line, hope whoever owns the film in some asian country or the UK will do it better

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Actually the current theory is that they just bootlegged the Australian disc on a PC. Theory goes that they ripped the Australian disc and used some cheapo MPEG-2 encoder to change it from PAL to NTSC and photoshopped their own logos in on the Aussie packaging.
You're correct, but they ripped the UK version not the Aussie version.

Anyone who wants the best version should get the Region 4 release from Australia. It's not perfect, but better than the UK version and light years ahead of the horrifying PFE release.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks