What's new

Where to buy an RP-91 and what to look for. (1 Viewer)

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
After reading this forum and having a number of non-anamorphic discs, I've decided to purchase a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player. I currently have a Panasonic RP-62 and I love the video quality, however, not being able to properly size these non-anamorphic discs is driving me crazy. I hate looking at stretched widescreen with shorter and fatter than normal actors. It just looks funky on my 16:9 Panasaonic 65" HDTV. Can anyone help with selecting a mail order vendor which is recognized by Panasonic? I also would like to know if there have been any problems with this unit. Any bad batches to look out for? I would prefer to deal with a reputable dealer at a good price. I am not interested in a refurbished unit and would prefer one with the Faroudah chip. Thanks.

P.S. Is anyone interested in a slightly used RP-62, silver finish player. Only a few months old, used very gently, no children. Original box and manuals and warranty card.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Crutchfield has them for $399.99. They are an authorized online dealer too. They have both the black and champagne versions.

One Call has the champagne version for $318.42. They are an authorized dealer too.

I just picked up one of these a month ago and couldn't be happier.

Parker

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not interested in a refurbished unit and would prefer one with the Faroudah chip.
The RP-91 does not use the Faroudja deinterlacing chip. The Faroudja chip does not provide the scaling feature that the RP-91 offers.

That being said, OneCall.com's price on the RP-91 is very good, and they are a very reliable, authorized vendor. I have purchased many items from them.

I have owned a RP-91 player for close to two years now, and it has been a very reliable player. I love the scaling feature (I still own over 70 non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs).

greg_t

Screenwriter
I agree with Parker's recommendation of crutchfield. I bought my last 91 from them, and it arrived broken. They had a replacment sent to me within two days, before I had even sent the broken one back. Very good, no hassle customer service. And Scott is correct, the 91 does not use the Farjouda chip.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
That's right, it uses both the Genesis gmVLX1A and gmAMFC chips to do the de-interlacing and scaling. I love it and IF you don't have a problem with playing with the de-interlacing modes, you can get this player to do a great job and eliminate most of the combing.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I just ordered my RP91 from Onecall.com and it should be here on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. I would have preferred the black version, however, I couldn't justify paying the extra $80. I'm excited. I will finally be able to scale my non-anamorphic DVD's properly. The salesman was one of this forums moderators, a guy named Jason. Does anyone have any advice for DVD audio with this machine. I have an Onkyo TXSR800 receiver. Are there any bass management issues that I should be aware of? Once again, thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

I hope you have as good an experience as I have had w/ the RP-91. I've had mine for about two years and it has worked flawlessly. Great machine.

Recently, I helped my Dad hook up a new Mits 55" widecreen TV. After I had calibrated it w/ Avia and got it tweaked properly, I popped a couple of movies in and was never blown away by the picture. It looked good, but my Dad has a just a regular Toshiba DVD player that is not progressive scan. I realized that I've gotten very used to the awesome picture my RP-91 produces every time I turn it on. You'll love it.

Peace,

DM

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I got my RP91 a month ago and also like it quite well, BUT you might want to temper your expectations since its deinterlacing quality isn't as good as the RP62. For the most part, you should be fine w/ film-sourced DVDs me thinks.

RE: DVD-A, it does NOT do bass management.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks