What's new

RP-91 died, seeking a replacement (with a twist; DVD-a SACD) (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Well last night my Panasonic RP-91 bit the dust, after searching around here last night looks like I am not the only one who has suffered the same fate. So now I need a replacement, but here is the twist. I have a Sony G70 projector and I am going to be building a HTPC within the next couple months so the replacement DVD player will be a temporary one. Since it is going to be a temporary player I got to thinking that I should get a DVD-A and SACD hybrid machine since I won't be able to do either of these functions with a HTPC. Did a little searching and found the Pioneer 45A and it looks like it fits my needs well and it's not to expensive.

A little more about my viewing/listening habits; I would say 80% of my time is used watching DVD's, now I understand the 45A has some problems in the video department but since I will soon be getting a HTPC I am sure I can live with its shortcomings for a few months. When I do listen to music it is generally on in the background as I do other stuff around the room so I am not too worried about the absolute best performance, but there are times where I will sit down and critically listen to music so I don't want a crap player either. From the research I have done it looks like the 45A's biggest shortcoming is bass management, if I find this to be a problem I figure I will get a ICBM down the road.

So to all you out there, does this seem like a good plan? I generally don't wander into this section of the forum seeing how I was very happy with my RP91 and was planning on getting a HTPC, so I am a little out of touch as to what are the good players right now. I should probably mention my budget, I really don't want to spend more than $400, I'd rather put the money toward my HTPC.

So yay or nay on the 45A as my replacement? If nay any other suggestions that fit my budget, I have no problem buying used equipment either so please keep that in mind.

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks