What's new

Where to audition B&W or Monitor Silver in Northern VA? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
All,

I'm looking into a new speaker setup for my upcoming basement home theater, and I'm looking to buy speakers for the first time in ages.

I have an M&K sub, and my old speakers (DCM Time Windows) have been relegated to family room duty, because my wife and daughter think that the cheaper speakers we auditioned sounded like crap. So, I now need new speakers for the HT. Yeah, me.:)

I've always liked the laid-back sound, and I recall that the B&W 600 series provides just that. I also remember being very impressed by a brief listen to the Monitor Audio Silver line (can't remember which model, but it wasn't the top). As stated, I have a sub, so I'm looking for a center, left/right, and surrounds.

Where can I listen to some of this stuff in Northern VA? Tweeter doesn't carry either brand. Any good online alternatives to these brands? I've read the Axioms are a bit bright.

These will be driven by my trusty Denon AVR-3300 receiver.

Thanks,

Todd

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
There is a store in arlington and claradon called Myer-Emco. They sell B and W speakers. I am about to go to the one in Upper Marlboro to audition a subwoofer. As for Monitor I have no ideal

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
After searching, I've come up with only one place for Monitor Audio- the Speaker Factory in Gaithersburg, MD. Not sure if I want to make the drive.

I'm thinking of just going with 6 B&W 601s, or possibly 602s, all around. Think the 601s are enough? I'll have to head to Myer Emco to give the B&Ws a listen.

VinhT

Second Unit
Let us know if you were able to get a discount. I have been a very good Myer-Emco customer, but only once have I been able to get a discount, a pathetically weak $10 off of a discontinued item that was priced above MSRP. I know this region is extremely affluent, so perhaps few bother to negotiate. Would definitely like to hear your experience dealing with them.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Skip,

I know we've chatted about Myer Emco via E-mail in the past. When it comes to B&W speakers, that is the store to hit in the area.

Also, they sell:

- Rotel
- McIntosh
- Boston Acoustics
- Def Tech speakers
- Pioneer Elite receivers & DVD players
- Yamaha RX-V receivers

Sadly, though, they are dropping Marantz receivers and they are on clearance. Rumor is, they are switching over to Denon gear instead.

There is a store in the Fairfax area, so you don't need to drive as far to Arlington. Also, the Fairfax Best Buy just opened up a Magnolia "mini-store" within the regular store a few days back.

Finally, if you have a lot o' cash to drop, there's always Gifted Listener Audio in Centreville for Bryston, Linn, etc.

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
2 years ago they gave me sort of a discount on a Yamaha 1200 but that was because the unit that they sold me was defective. I bought the unit in beltsville, md. when it was there. It took them 3 months to get a new one. I think I will check out the speaker factory now that I know where it is this weekend. I just bought a velo from circuit city but may have to take it back. Hope Todd that you enjoy the b&w. They are good speakers

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

FYI, Speaker Factory no longer has a store, so don't make the drive! The owner, Ray, works out of his home, and that's an even longer drive, but he's a very knowledgable guy, so give him a call or e-mail and he'll tell you what he has available. It might be worth the drive based upon his knowledge and experience.

PS I've bought a few things from Myer-Emco. Their service and selection have always been wonderful; prices are about average for the DC area.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks