What's new

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I would pass, no way am I buying the theatrical runs again, there incomplete. I own the theatrical's and never watch'em.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I like the extended cut of Fellowship and Two Towers better than the theatrical cut. However I like the theatrical cut of Return of the King better than the extended. I thought the extended dragged quite a bit on that one. I would prefer that they have both versions of the film in a branching form.

I'm also not a big fan of the extended cut of Terminator 2. The theatrical cut was just about perfect, but when they added the cut material I felt the film lost something in the pacing. Sometimes adding stuff doesn't make a better film.

I haven't seen the extended cut of King Kong.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I liked the scenes on their own....but when added I thought it changed the pace of the over all film and not in a good way. Interestingly I thought the extended cut of Aliens is a MUCH better film from the theatrical cut, as is The Abyss.

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I guess the question is do they need remastering? Being fairly new releases, and with all of the work done to produce the extended versions, it might be that the masters are in excellent shape for HD transfers.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I can agree about T2. As for the LotR, I thought the EE of TTT dragged but not RotK. I will say that even though TTT dragged it was still better then the theatrical.

Hopefully they'll do the branching with the HD set but I highly doubt it. I'm willing to lay money down that we see the theatrical first and then 6 months later the EE's, maximizing profits for the greedy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Doug I am with you 100% on your assessment of the LOTR films. To me the film that benefited most from an extended cut was Fellowship with Two Towers close behind. I don't really think Return needed to be any longer.

I don't disagree with you about T2 either, but from my perspective it is kind of a wash. It has been a while since I watched them, but I remember thinking "ehh." They seem about equal to me.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

Agreed that Fellowship benefited most from the extended edit. In fact, though it was 30 minutes+ longer, it felt swifter and better paced. Although I enjoyed all 3 extended cuts better than the theatricals.

I will disagree with Terminator 2. I love the extended scenes, particularly the scene where they deal with the chip in the T1000's head. It felt like a nice breather from some of the action and added to the mythology a bit. I remember falling in love with the extended cut the first time I saw it - way back on VHS! I think my parents still have it somewhere!

Cheers,

Jason

PattyFraser

Second Unit
RotK EE spoilers below!

I love the extended FotR and TTT. Rotk does need to have the extra moments between Pippin and Faramir (to set up Pippin's particular concern for him later) and even though the Houses of Healing scenes should have been expanded upon, I wouldn't miss Faramir beginning to fall for Eowyn for the world. I also like Eomer's reaction to discovering his sister on the battlefield, and Sam and Frodo's encounter with the orcs as they are crossing the plains to Mount Doom (I should remember the name of that area but I don't. I must be a fake fan-girl.) But for the most part, the rest of it I don't care for, particularly the drinking game and its effects on Gimli.

But for anyone who bought the LE of these films I am wondering if the branching is really seamlessly done? My big fear is the HD coming out with branching and the player seizing up where the extended moments are supposed to branch in. I've never had one of these dvds--is this a problem? The last thing I'd want, if I were watching Middle-earth on TV and really getting into it is to be kicked out by a player seize up due to branching (or layer change, for that matter.)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Yep...I totally blew that line didn't I! :D I'm an idiot....
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:crazy: :) I edited the above post....

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I say now that I'd only buy the extended editions, but God knows I'd cave as soon as these theatrical versions hit Amazon for pre-order. I'm weak.

In all seriousness, though, wasn't TotalHD one of the main catalysts for bringing NLC into the HD formats? Since Warners has delayed that until next year, maybe that means NLC will be out until then, too, unfortunately.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I have not seen the LE of the Lord of the Rings films but I will say that the branching versions of The Abyss and Terminator 2 on SD are seamless.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
All the more reasons for these HD/BD releases to always include the original/theatrical cuts and the extended cuts. Everyones happy. I know it's never going to happen.

BTW I prefer the extended cuts of all the LOTR films, T2, Aliens, The Abyss, Kingdom of Heaven, etc. Not so much King Kong though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought those EE/TC editions recently. They were all scratched to a certain extent, including the replacements, even though the discs were seated correctly. Very annoying. Still, they played fine on my PC (my cheap DVD players has problems with DVD-19) with no noticable delays. The complicated process makes me nervous and I feel like a few extra dollars on the price to pay for extra DVDs would be more desirable. Also, the picture/sound quality was truly outstanding.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I don't think seemless branching would work for the LOTR flicks as the music cues can be different, shots are held longer, extra lines of dialogue are peppered throughout...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

you maybe right. I'm interested now in renting the EE LOTR just to see how it worked out.

Doug

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Well, it'll likely be a day/date title, so there'll likely be more. I'm sure more titles will be announced in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks