What's new

Where Eagles Dare Will This Classic Ever See DVD? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I'm suprised that at least so type of a DVD has been released of this classic war film. For those unfamiliar with it, it stars Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton as World War 2 commandos sent to infiltrate a German Castle in the Alps to rescue an American general with important plans to the invasion of Europe. But thats only part of the story. This movie, although from 1969, still has many great action scenes and is one of the best fictional World War 2 movies, as well as an Eastwood classic. Aparently, Warner owns the rights to it, and it can often be seen on TNT, TBS, and TCM. So far, not even a barebones release has come out in the past few years with this format. There was a LD release svereal years ago thats OOP, but this great film deserves a DVD release of some sort. It could at least include a commentary by Eastwood, since this was an early film for him, and helped put him in the international spot light as an action star(his character in this film kills more people than any other Eastwood character). At the very least they could include a widescreen transfer and mono or stereo sound, but thats at the very least. If you have seen it, you can notice that it is in need of restoration and remastering since its over 25 years old. I guess we have to wait and see, but it being from Warner who has an up and down history with these kind of releases, we at least know what the packaging will be like.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Does MGM or Warner own this now? If warner they are slowly doling out Eastwood's work. Look how long it took to get Perfect World released. I'm personally looking forward to Tightrope myself.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It seems every 3 months or so a thread will pop up on the software forum asking why this isn't on DVD yet. It's part of the MGM library that is now owned by Warners. Be patient. It will come eventually. Warners has a huge backlog of catalogue titles to release including high profile and much requested films like King Kong, Magnificent Ambersons, House Of Wax, Dial M For Murder, Around The World In 80 Days, Meet Me In St. Louis among many others.
They can release only so many at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks