What's new

Where do you rent your movies from? (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Don't any of you guys have BlockBuster Freedom Pass where you live? It's like NetFlix in that you keep the movies as long as you like, rent as many as you like, for a monthly subsciption fee. $25/month for 2 movies at a time, or $30/month (the one I use) for 3 at a time.

Considering I rent about 20 DVDs a month, That's $1.50/movie, no late fees. More expensive than Netflix, but I get what I want, when I want, and none of the Netflix BS

- JS

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Jack, are you out west? I read Blockbuster is testing that model in the west to see if they want to do it everywhere.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
but I get what I want, when I want, and none of the Netflix BS
As long as its P&S and you dont want to get a movie at 7:00pm on a friday night. ;)

If you work netfilx right, you can have the new release the day it comes out sitting in your mailbox when you get home. Its a 2 day turn around for me. Drop it in the mail and 2 days later its in my mailbox. I am just 30 miles or so from one of their distribution hubs :D

+ I can keep track of movies I missed in the theater so I will not miss it when it comes to DVD.

The only movies in my queue that are not available are the ones that are not released yet.

Sorry to zip off topic. Bad Chris!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I had an idea a while back for a rental place that not only will deliver the title(s) you want but also will deliver food as well. Maybe you can talk to the Chinese and Italian restaurants in the same strip mall about that.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any problems with getting the movies I want from netflix and I've been a member since Oct 99. 60 movies in my queue, only ones not available Now are DS9 disc 1, Angel disc 1, and MTV real world vegas. The rest of my queue is filled up with new releases all available now. Turn around time is also excellent. Put 3 in the mail saturday, they shipped the next 3 out on monday, I'll get them tomorrow (wed). Pay 21 something for 4 out at a time.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I do both Netflix and Blockbuster. With $$ tight (another trouble IT guy, here), I'm not buying DVDs. But the $20/month is very reasonable. I use Netflix for older and foreign films. Right now, my queue consists almost solely of Criterions, since I am curious to watch them all but certainly can't afford to buy them.

I go to Blockbuster for newer titles that I want to watch that day.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
As long as its P&S and you dont want to get a movie at 7:00pm on a friday night.
Don't know about where you are, but here the Blockbusters have nearly everything in Wide Screen, and availability is almost never an issue. If those two things were issues I wouldn't use the Freedom Pass.

I'm in Northern Utah by the way. I thought I read the test period was over and they were going nation-wide...

- JS

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I rent at Blockbuster because it's closest, and at Casa Video if it's something BB doesn't carry, or if they don't carry the version I'm looking for.

I wish Casa Video was closer to my home, they are less expensive and have a much greater selection than Blockbuster, but driving almost 20 miles for a movie (round trip) is a bit much, compared to the 2 mile roundtrip for the Blockbuster store...

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Hmmm is the choice of P&S over WS soley the manager's choice?
I did not get in to that issue with the manager and dont realy care who makes the choice. The problem I have is the choice was made.

Jack Shappa I am happy that you have such a good BB store to do business with. Every time I have gone in at 7:00pm on a friday night 99% of the "new releases" are gone. Not worth my time when NetFlix is so easy to use, saves me money and has a great selection.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I generally rent at Hollywood Video, simply because you get to keep everything for five days instead of the 2 days at Blockbuster and the rentals are the same price. It's a no brainer.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster anecdote - went into a BBuster to rent Spiderman for my nieces and nephew. I own it, but I live an hour away from them and they wanted to watch it. All they had was P&S, although they do stock the Widescreen, they were just all out of it (hint, hint Blockbuster!!). I asked if they had any Spiderman DVD's behind the desk. They said there were plenty on the shelf. I said they were all P&S and I wanted widescreen. One of the counter girls said "Oh, a widescreen snob. I've heard about your kind". I said "Snob or not, it's kind of stupid to rent P&S when you have a widescreen TV". She replied "Oh, I'm sorry. Your not a widescreen snob, you're an electronics snob". Then she leaned over and said "Just kidding, I'm the same way with widescreen, I'm just surrounded by idiots here and I like to point it out when someone demands widescreen".

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Since 1/1/2001

Netflix 253
Hollywood54
Blockbuster30
Video Update9

The Video Update (now Movie Gallery) is right down the street from the house I moved into last year. I really wanted to like renting there, but the selection was mediocre, they tended to prefer P&S, and the manager is a jerk.

I keep a steady flow of Netflix's going, and rent from BB or Hollywood for immediate gratification (or when we get 99 cent rental coupons).

Interestingly, last weekend when I was in BB an employee was explaining the benefits of widescreen to a customer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks