What's new

Where are these Simon & Garfunkel tracks from? (1 Viewer)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I just bought the original 1972 Greatest Hits of Simon & Garfunkel after realizing that after purchasing the Old Friends box set, The Columbia Studio Recordings 1964-1970 box set, The Graduate Soundtrack, Live From New York City, 1967 and Concert In Central Park, that I was still missing the Link Removed.
Which leads me to the question; where did these live versions come from? The CD, which sounds pretty awful, also has absolutely no liner notes! The Paul Simon Box Set, 1964/1993, reads that the live version of Kathy's Song contained therein which it noted was from "Greatest Hits" was "recorded live in New York, 1968". None of the other live tracks from the Old Friends box set seem to be from this location and date and I'm wondering if anyone knows where they are from, and are all 4 live songs from the same source?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Making a guess, I think they're from the last concert tour they did (before the reunion in the 1980s) - some of them have a backing band, and that only happened on the last tour.

I think the remastering of S&G has been inept to say the least. The remastering of individual tracks has been excellent, but why not just reissue something like the Columbia Studios set with the extras from the Old Friends set and the live tracks from the greatest Hits album? I.e. something that really was *complete*.

Incidentally, what's the 1967 concert album like? It doesn't get released in the UK until next month, believe it or not.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Well I'm enjoying the Live From New York a lot. It's going back and forth with the new Flaming Lips album (they both came out the same day).

You said it though about the collections. I shouldn't have to buy so much crap to get all their stuff. I forgot to mention I already had Simon & Garfunkel Collected Works before I bought the rest of those CDs. I mean, I'm buying box sets here just to get a few extra tracks! Since collected works put all 5 albums on 2 and a half discs I thought that the Old Friends box set could have easily put the half disc's worth of bonus tracks on the end and replace the Collected Works with a new "complete" set. Then the newest set spreads it across 5 discs and it still isn't complete. They are really putting one over on me.

P.S. I noticed that you were one of the few that replied to my last S&G thread. It looks like we may be in the minority here regarding the duo. How do you feel about Paul Simon solo stuff. I personally love Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, and Still Crazy After All Those Years and I really wish I could get some good sounding CDs of those with some bonus tracks or something.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I checked with a friend of mine who is a S&G fanatic, and he doesn't know the precise venues, but says they're almost certainly from the final concert tour.

I too have got all the S&G albums - I gave up on buying the Columbia set, because it's about 30 or so pounds over here, but if I ever see it in a sale ...

I like Paul Simon's stuff up to Rhythm of the Saints, where I felt he went seriously off the boil. I think Hearts and Bones is underrated.

And yes, I agree - reissue with newer remasters and extra tracks (e.g. Graceland with the 12" remixes as extras).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Took some doing, but I found it! On a 'FAQ about Simon and Garfunkel' page of a Link Removed
Although the actual performances are not credited on the album, it is generally believed they were from S&G's final tour in 1970.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
the previously unissued alternate take of "America"
WHAT alternate take??? As far as I can tell, it's the same old Bookends version. However, Bookends IS a remix (possibly the Quad version), as the vocals are now split.
Also, why the hell is Red Rubber Ball left off of the new album?

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Larry, I don't know about that alternate take of America. That was a quote from the all music guide. It sounds the same to me too.
Also, why the hell is Red Rubber Ball left off of the new album
Which album do you mean? I only have it Live, Lincoln Center, 1/22/67 on the Old Friends Box. Did it appear somewhere else?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Which album do you mean? I only have it Live, Lincoln Center, 1/22/67 on the Old Friends Box. Did it appear somewhere else?
No, that's the point, the new album IS the 1/22/67 concert & it's MISSING Red Rubber Ball, which was released on the box set & was also from the SAME concert! Since the CD isn't full time wise & anybody buying the new album probably already HAS the box set, what is Columbia trying to prove here?

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Good question. I never realized that was the same date because the Old Friends box lists the recording location as Lincoln Center and the new CD lists the location as Philharmonic Hall. Is Philharmonic Hall in Lincoln Center or something? I wonder what the full tracklist was and WHAT ELSE is missing?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding this thread interesting. I have the Old Friends box set, but nothing else. How does my set differ sonically from the more-recent reissues of the individual albums. The All Music Guide leads me to believe that the mastering is even better on these newer releases.

Thanks.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I went to a S & G concert in November 1969 at Carbondale, Illinois. They announced that the concert was being recorded, but have never heard anything from this concert. I assume they were recorded at all venues during this concert tour. This was probably one of their last tours before they split up in the early 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks