What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

When will the first Buffy S4 reviews come out? (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
I was wondering if the season finale "Restless" is supposed to lack a pre-credits sequence?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
I never watched Buffy during its run on cable. I have bought the first four seasons so far. I enjoy the show and have to say that I found season 4 to be very refreshing. Spike's inability to kill humans and his attachment to the scooby gang this season as was enjoyable as was the government monster project. I was tiring of all the Angel/Buffy dynamics from the first 3 seasons. Seth Green leaving was a little bit of a letdown, however, he wanted out of the show. One thing I did notice that they play very lightly with the Willow/Lesbian relationship. They didn't show them kissing on screen the whole season. It was just alluded to. Interesting. All in all, I give season 4 a big thumbs up.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Joss Whedon commented on that in an NPR interview during year four. Warner Bros. was apparently very leery of the whole lesbian thing, and he indicated that there would not likely be a scene in which Willow and Tara kissed passionately onscreen.

Which of course happened anyway in season five... :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, the reaction to the lesbian thing was so good (and the other shows started doing it, so much that it became a WB trademark) that they let it happen. The wait made it that much more special though

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Which of course happened anyway in season five...
Yeah, but Joss handled it brilliantly. He snuck it in when we least expected it, and in an episode where it became almost a non-event. Of course, they weren't quite as subtle in the following two seasons.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
So whats so big about Previously on the Gift?

I never watched this on TV (I watch very little broadcast TV) and have picked it up on DVD. This is the first I've heard that there was even a previously on at all :)

And the Commentary on the Restless was nice, I'm quite sure there was never ment to be anything before the credits.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
The previously on the gift was special because it was surprizingly well done and was a work of art in and of itself. They started showing scenes from the very first buffy and then moved faster and faster from episode to episode till they were flashing screenshots from each episode and ended well. It was just so well done that it really would be a shame if it were not included.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Bah why do ppl always have to talk about future seasons....

I keep learning I can't read ANY thing about Buffy on here since what happens in Season n+1 always comes up :-/

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Sorry, Brian. Although it's too late, I've spoiler-protected my contribution.

Although you can't be that shocked. It's like reading a post about The Matrix and expecting spoiler protection for The Matrix Reloaded.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
1/2 way through season 4 and Angel season 1 and I must say that I like Riley a little better this time around. He's SUPPOSSED to be stiff, I feel. Also, I REALLY liked Doyle on Angel and it's too bad they bumped him off. When they brought Wesley in, it was like the poor man's Giles IMHO. (Granted he developed and became interesting later.) Watching Doyle's sacrifice is quite moving now knowing he recently passed away in real life. That last scene on the videotape, with him asking, "Is that it? Am I done?" is very poignant and kind of hard to watch. I always liked him on Roseanne and had a lot of fun watching the 1st 9 episodes with him on Angel. His character seemed to really understand what was going on in Angel's mind. What a shame.
RIP, Glenn....

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The pre credits on RESTLESS was merely a short (10 second?) "previously" segment. Since those are missing, it most likely just goes right to the opening credits.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
For the most part ive liked season 4. The first half season was pretty good. Then there were a few episodes which were crappy and then the last few were pretty good again. Cant wait for season 5

capt

Martyn S

Auditioning
The R2 version of Season 4 features the "Previously on" segments and IMHO this makes it superior in every way to the R1 version that has just been released. The picture (which is in Widescreen. I prefer it, but I know that many people say it is sacrilege to show Buffy in Widescreen so don't have a go at me) is also quite superb with virtually no evidence of any smearing which has been mentioned as being present on the R1 version.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Some of us can't stand the PAL speedup and also Joss has said that 4:3 is his preferred aspect ratio for Buffy. (future seasons of Angel have become more cinematic in scope and therefore demand the 1.85:1 ratio [as broadcast])

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the season 4 set and went straight to watching the finale Restless with Joss Whedon's commentary. I almost lost it though when the disc started skipping around jumping one minute at one place. I manged to go backwards to recover some of that, but then it got continued having problems. I then stopped it and pulled it out and saw some crud was over various places of the disc. I managed to wipe that off and it played through those problem spots perfectly afterwards. I was ready to drive back and get a replacement, but luckily it was fixed.

Anyway, the commentary was fascinating, though people probably shouldn't listen to it until after they have seen at least some of the next season.

Neil

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

My Spoiler rant wasn't just directed at you. Just every time I want to come to HTF and see what others think about Buffy it's 90% ppl whove seen it all :)

Even Joss does it on his special features, not to mention IMDB is a spoiler of itself since it tells you when actors leave the show. Forexample in the Restless commentary he tells us what will happen to Buffy's mom next season... :-/

BTW, how many seasons of Buffy are there? I thought Buffy's over now, what about Angel...

Brian

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Buffy had 7 seasons
Angel is starting Season 5

I try to warn in my reviews when there are major spoilers in place, but it's hard when I DON'T HAVE MY COPY YET!

*ahem*

That being said, you should have been watching since the beginning, or at least caught yourself up on reruns :D

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well i finished season 4 of buffy. Liked it more then I thought I would since everyone said it was one of the worst seasons.

Started Angel Season 1 right after it and im liking it as well. As for catching up in reruns. Id rather buy the sets and watch them in a row instead of catching things here and there

capt

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Martyn, the UK version is hardly better in every way. It's in the wrong AR, is missing the Seth Green/Joss Whedon/Marti Noxon commentary and there's PAL speed-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks