What's new

When they put different songs on home video releases… (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
We’ve all heard about movie soundtrack songs being replaced on home video releases because of rights issues. I’ve actually never encountered this myself, but I’m writing a piece about unique versions of films on VHS or DVD and I wanted examples of films that had the original soundtrack on one format but not the other.

Were song replacements more likely to be found on VHS releases or DVD releases?
Are there cases of VHS releases that had the original soundtrack while the subsequent DVD release had an altered soundtrack?
Or was it the other way around—the VHS had an altered soundtrack while the DVD restored the original tracks?

I’m looking for examples of both, although, for the purposes of this piece, I’m more interested in hearing about VHS editions retaining the original soundtrack. But if that’s not the case most of the time I’d need to know that. I’m not making a comprehensive list, I just need a few examples.

I did a Google search, but I’m not sure how to word it to get the right results. I tried it different ways, but I only found one website that gave some examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomeVersionSoundtrackReplacement

And the only example given that I would use in my piece was WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM:
Where The Buffalo Roam had its music infamously replaced with generic '80s music on most home video releases. The only known exception is the original VHS and Betamax release.

Thanks.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Nighthawks - the 1981 Stallone movie - had the songs "Brown Sugar" and "I'm a Man" replaced for the Universal VHS and DVD versions. But an earlier DVD release, by Gootimes, had the songs intact.

The VHS and laserdisc versions of Jaws replaced an Olivia Newton John song, until it was restored when the film was released on DVD.

Love at First Bite had a disco song song removed from all video versions - and even some theatrical prints.

Sixteen Candles had several songs replaced until the most recent DVD and blu-ray editions.

Earlier video editions of The Thing replaced a Stevie Wonder song, which was subsequently put back in the newest DVD and subsequent HD versions.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
At least one song was replaced on the VHS release of "The President's Analyst."

The DVD of "WKRP in Cincinnati: Season 1" replaces all of the show's original songs with library music, from the songs played on radio station to the doorbell chime for Loni Anderson's character. Shout Factory is now taking the show on and is seeking to clear the rights to most of those songs and restoring the show. They did a good job doing just than on "Freaks and Geeks"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Love at First Bite lost some of its bite, that's for sure. That scene is only worth skipping ahead now. That's one I hope gets done right and on blu ray.

I missed Freaks and Geeks. I need to get that before it goes oop.

National Lampoon's Vacation removed He's so Shy and put Little Boy Mine. I like both versions.

Heroes is one of the worst. The whole movie leads up to Carry on my Wayward Son. But you get there and it's gone. :(

One good note is Almost Famous and the famous Stairway to Heaven scene. They include it on the disc so you can add it yourself. A good scene, but I don't lose sleep over it not being there. The movie is good enough without it.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
On VACATION, are you referring to The Pointer Sisters' "He's So Shy," or Vanity Six's "He's So Dull"?I recall the latter playing during the visit with Randy Quaid's daughter, being a big Prince-and-his-affiliates fan, and could easily imagine the song having to be replaced considering The Artist's frequent intrasigence regarding music he works on.On LOVE AT FIRST BITE, I believe the removed song was Alicia Bridges' "I Love the Night Life," which was quite prominent in its advertising. Supposedly, the song is still in the trailer included on the old MGM DVD even though the track is removed from the film itself. Universal Music owns the recording, and they too have been notorious about wanting high clearance fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks