What's new

Whats wrong with my HDTV????? (1 Viewer)

MatthewH

Agent
I returned home from work last night and turned on my Hitachi 57TWX20 and noticed that something just didnt look right. On every channel, everything had a blueish tint to it. The blue's are REALLY blue, orange colors do not look right, everything just looks screwed up. This TV is less than four months old and had a perfect picture until last night. Even my DVD's and XBOX look horrible. I have everything plugged into a surge protector, and we had a brief power outage last night. Could that have screwed up my television. I have a tech from the store that I bought the TV from coming next week to hopefully fix it. What do you think is wrong with it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Have you checked to see if all of your settings for picture controls and color temp are the same as before?

Possible that somebody hit "reset" and returned everything to factory default settings, or this may have occurred due to the power outage.

MatthewH

Agent
right, the settings were all the same. I had to turn the contrast up to 70 to get the picture brighter. It was set about 35 before. Also all of the colors still look horrible after I made some adjustments.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Hmmm. I wonder of one of the three CRTs is not firing (from your description). Or, if some board or circuit somewhere was "fried," and it happened to be one which controls one of the three CRTs, or which controls the color decoders. This (fried board or fried circuit) most likely would have happened at the moment that the power came back on (as it "surged" through your house, which can cause an incredibly large voltage to be sent for an instant to any appliance). It can be bad in a house, after any power outage. It can be much worse in a large building (a school, hospital, etc.), as you can literally hear the power "surging" from one end of the building to the other (one of the scariest sounds I have ever heard, by the way).

Regardless, I would be calling for a service tech to have a look, based on what you report.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I agree with Bruce..Definatly sounds like you have a CRT out..Definatly needs to be seen by a tech..

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Or greyscale could be reset.

This happend to mine under the same condistions...

I turned it on and all the faces were very red, and the picture was very dark.

After reseting the greyscale it looked better.

A factory reset of settings sounds correct. A tech should be able to fix this.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Good luck with your TV. Bad news indeed.

Meanwhile, you might want to get a new surge protector. They are able to absorb only a limited number of hits, and yours may have reached (and passed) its limit.

Jan

MatthewH

Agent
I will definitely get a new surge protector. When I turn the contrast and brightness almost all the way up the picture begins to look a little better. However, everything still has a blue tint to it. When I turn the settings down to where they were previously at, the picture is extremely dark. So dark that you can varily see the picutre. Especially during dark scenes. The Tech comes out a week from today, dont know if i can make it that long. Any other ideas or diagnoses?? Thanks to everyone in advance.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
I don't think that replaceing the surge is always needed.

I know Monstercable gives you a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all thier surges...

If it's a monster product just call or email thier customer service and they will get a new one out to you right away.

Monster gives you this incredible warranty because they know their products are built to last and it's not usual for anyone to ever have to use the warranty.

My monster has stopped about 4-5 serious surges that I can recall, one time I was flipping out because the whole house went down and then came back and after that the RPTV and system would not turn on.

After I calmed down I realized that the breaker was switched on my HTS1000 and after switching the breaker back on everything worked fine. Best $75 I ever spent.

MatthewH

Agent
The surge protector is just a General Electric. Nothing too fancy, and it is a couple years old. However, after all this is done, I am going to go buy a good surge protector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks