What's new

What's the latest on the dual tuner for DirecTivo? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Anyone heard anything? I've been waiting for Tivo (or DirecTV) to enable the second tuner in my Sony SAT-T60 for almost a year now!
Thanks in advance,
-Camp

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
The software rollout is under way in batches. All subscribers should probably have it by the end of October at the latest.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased my DirecTivo a couple of weeks ago, and got the 2.5 upgrade the night after the dish installer left the house. I've read over at the AVS forum that some folks have had success by calling on the telephone and demanding the upgrade. Of course you'll need two feeds from the dish (dual LNB) in order to dual-tune.
The new software works very well. There's a new switch on the Display panel that gives you a text readout of what's showing on the other tuner, and you can switch quickly between tuners at any time with down-arrow. Changing channels with the Channel button while it's recording results in a switch to the other tuner as well (as you might expect). It will record on both tuners at the same time, even if you're watching a previously recorded program. (How it manages all that simultaneous drive i/o without disk thrashing is beyond me, but it does.)
------------------
Pat Frank, MCSE, MCT
[email protected]
Miami, FL
(NOT the author of "Alas, Babylon", but thanks for asking.)
System: Yamaha RXV-992, Klipsch speakers, Panasonic DVD and a terrible TV!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Cool! Thanks for the info guys!
Does 2.5 implement picture in picture? That ought to be possible now that we've got dual tuners running.

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
It does not support PiP. There are 2 tuners, but not 2 discrete outputs. The current hardware will never be able to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks