What's new

What's the grossest thing you've pulled out of a refrigerator? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
We've all done it.
Spotted something in the back....
Something not of this world....
Something really nasty....
I was cleaning out my grandfather's fridge one day and came across some grapes hidden waaaay in the back that had something attached to them that could only be described as 'grey fur'!
smiley_puke.gif

Anybody else have a horror story?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
When I was a kid there was this abandoned house. I don't know how long those deviled eggs had een inside the fridge but I was sick for days after opening the door.

To this day I throw-out anything that has been in my fridge more than seven days (BRITA water filter excluded).

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
The grossest thing I've ever seen involving food wasn't in the fridge, but at the supermarket. I was working in the produce department and was moving watermellons from the back to the salesfloor. One must have been in the back for a long time because when I put it in the shopping cart, it broke and started to "puke". This nasty fluid came out in spurts and even made a sound like it was vomiting. It didn't smell like puke, but the smell was far worse than anything I've ever smelled. Truely disgusting.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I was given some roast beef and mashed potatoe leftovers in a tupperware container in October 2000. When I moved out in January 2002, the only thing left in the tupperware was a black "puck" of "meat". The potatoes completely disappeard, along with the gravy!

...I did not try to reclaim the tupperware :b

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Are you talking about kitchen refrigerators only?

I work in medical research, so I have seen all kinds of things in refrigerators! Going back to high school we kept partially dissected animals in refrigerators.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey my ex roomate bought blueberry muffins and wouldn't throw them out until something was growing on them .... just microwave and go! ... how gross.

Month old grapes for me!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
A human head! Just kidding. :)
Hey! That was my answer - and I'm not kidding. It was in the refrigerator of a suite at a college dorm, and I was stupid enough to say, "I'll get it" when somebody called for more beer.
(Important life lesson: Never party with med students. They are a twisted and demented bunch. I wouldn't trust any of those guys to clip my toenails today. :))
Regards,
Joe

A

Anthony_Gomez

I got you all beat!
it was a freezer incident though
we have an extra freezer in the garage. someone unplugged the freezer (me and my siblings were young then) withouth knowing what they were unplugging. We wend on a little vacation.
..my parents had to clean out the freezer which once contained a couple of frozen turkeys. When they got to it, it was a GREEN GLOP! sure you have seen breads grow green fuzz and meets with white and a little blue green fuz, but these were serious globs of putrescence! They seriously considered throwing out the whole freezer rather than clean it!

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
when i was single, one of my girlfriends brought over some milk one morning. since i don't drink milk, it sat there until i moved... three years later.

the running gag (pun intended) every year as it approached the annaversary of it's pull date was "it's still good, look at the date"

Julie K

Screenwriter
I kept a deer head in my freezer for a while before I got around to preparing the skull.

But as for gross...

In the pantry:

I'm guessing it was once an onion that I had stashed away in a plastic bag. It got lost in there...until much later. It was pretty much a plastic bag filled with thick and slightly chunky yellow-brown liquid.

In the fridge...

Had some pineapple juice left over (from what I don't recall). It was in a plastic tub for quite some time. It must have first fermented because when I opened it up I found that after fermentation an acetobacter colony had taken up residence! A largish 'mother-of-vinegar' was sitting prettily in the middle of the ex-pineapple juice. Either that, or it was a baby shoggoth. I dumped it before I made a clear determination.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
My first year in college we took a 2 liter plastic bottle and stuffed it full of various leftover food stuffs.

After keeping it in the window sill all term, we decided to pop open the thing. The BOOM that resulted was impressive, as was the smell. Glad it was moving day!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Anthony_Gomez, similar story here, but even worse...
When me and my wife moved into our new house, we didn't own a refrigerator. Some friends of ours had just bought a new fridge, and their old one was still working, so they were gonna give it to us.
They cleaned it out and put it out in the back yard. We came by their house a month or so later to pick it up. This was in August, when the temperature here is around 90-100 degrees.
Well, it turns out that they had forgotten to clean out the meat drawer... there was what looked like the remains of a couple of big steaks in there, covered in maggots, flies and other bugs. Not only were the bugs on he meat, but the juice had leaked out of the meat drawer, and was covering the bottom of the fridge, which was also crawling with bugs. The bugs were also on the wall and in the ceiling of the fridge. There were stains from the juice all over the inside of the fridge, presumably from the flies. The stench was unbeliavable, the worst thing I've smelled in my entire life.
We actually tried to clean it out, but we couldn't get rid of the stench. I couldn't have used the fridge anyway, just the thought of eating something that had been in the same fridge as that putrid meat... yuk...
So we got rid of it and bought a nice CLEAN brand new fridge. :)
/Mike

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
When I was younger my family had one of those really large horizontal freezers. You know, the kind you can chop lots of people up and hide in there. (Personally I think the deep well idea is lacking as there is a lot of wasted and unreachable space once it is filled with bodies, er groceries.)

So anyway there are 3 of us, my dad, George, and myself. Its pretty hot outside so George goes and plugs in the fan. This guy actually cut the ends off of all our lamps and fans, requiring everything to be rewired or spliced, but that is another story. So he plugs in the fan and we go about our business.

2 or so weeks later. We are in the garage, its still quite hot. My dad and I walk a bit up the driveway to clean out the car. George decides to get some steaks out of the freezer. All I hear is vomit hitting the pavement outside the garage. I'm obviously stunned, and then the worst stench I have ever smelled wafted its way about 20 ft. up the driveway. I just got a hint.

George had unplugged the freezer some 2 weeks prior, and about $200 worth of meat had spoiled.

For me, here is what makes this memorable. My dad looks at George, who is all redfaced from puking, and asks whats wrong? My dad smiles and walks into the putrid wall of stench, opens up the freezer, peers in, and says "Yup, she's got a little smell!".

According to my dad, after you've worked the "Honey patrol" nothing is quite as bad.

Oh.. my buddies 4 month old tapioca that was just on his desk until is spilled over all over him ranks pretty high up there too.

DarrinH

Second Unit
This is a great thread,

Before my wife and I were married I went to her apartment to cook her dinner one night. In the back of her fridge was a container of orange juice in one of those white bottles. I asked her if it was still good, she said "I don't know thats been in there for a while." I looked at the date and it was almost a year and a half old! I proceeded to pour it out...big mistake...green lumpy goo and the smell was...not so great.

StephenA

Screenwriter
It was cream cheese. I made a bagel one day and wanted to put cream cheese on it. I found a package of cream cheese in the back of the fridge. I proceeded to open it and it looked like old, dried up blue cheese dressing. I checked the date, and it was from Thanksgiving time around 2 years before. It really din't have a bad smell, but boy did it look gross.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the only thing left in the tupperware was a black "puck" of "meat". The potatoes completely disappeard, along with the gravy!
Now that's frightening! There was probably a mutated glop of potatoes and gravy lurking around the apartment somewhere. :laugh:

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I had a roommate in College who was, for lack of a nicer term: a pig.

Anyway, he'd always leave stuff in the fridge way way too long and then finally clean everything out, just to begin the whole cycle again.

He had some bean soup casserole thing made for a party or something that just went South of Cheese in a hurry(Rieben...check out that leg and see if its south of cheese SPR). It got so nasty that when I was in my room studying with the door closed, approximately 50 feet from the fridge, I could tell when the fridge was opened. It was amazingly fast... I think, like 30 seconds or something and it travelled through doors with no central fan or breeze to help it....I swear, that putrid rank filth had a life of its own.

Me being the engineer, I was always amazed at the travel time...it was like - slower than the speed of sound, but faster than a walking cat....it became the speed of stench.

As a postscript to this story...one day I see my roommate on Campus and he waves me down to tell me "I think when you get home...you are in for a big surprise !!" The surprise was he finally cleaned out that crap, as if that was something to celebrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks