What's new

What's the deal with the Lexicon MC-1 (1 Viewer)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
This unit has been my ultimate processor for some time now. But, at $4k+ I had always thought that it was just too expensive for me. Lately, I have seen Supposedly brand new MC-1's on ebay for under $3K. Very close to what I could afford.

Is the MC-1 being discontinued or something to that matter. Or is there any other reason I should stay away from these units?

Thanks

Mark

Nope...the MC-1 has been "replaced" by the new flagship MC-12 from Lexicon. The MC-1 will do everything out there surround sound wise thats important right now (at least IMO). I just purchased a new MC-12, and kept my MC-1 to trade in on a newer processor down the road.

Lexicon is coming out with a new, scaled down version of the MC-12 in 6-8 months, with a target price of 3-4K. The MC-1 is at the end of its architecture, and won't be upgraded anymore. Its still a heck of a buy even at 3 grand..and I would certainly pick it up over any flagship reciever or any other pre/pro in that range. Logic 7 is awesome. Plus..you can trade the MC-1 in on the new Lex processor and move into something up to date for minimal money.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
1) Lexicon dealer margin allegedly approaches 50%. Their trade-in programs have awarded as much as 70% of original retail towards a new product. IOW, they have room to move. Even before the MC-12 was released and the competition came out with more features one could find a new MC-1 in the $3500 range.

2) Although fine products (I love my DC-1) apart from the ($9K) MC-12, there's no component switching (use an Extron), DPLII (Logic-7 beats it on a 7.1 array), DTS discrete, analog pass-through (use a the Sony 5.1 analog preamp), etc.

The market wants those features. The MC-1 doesn't deliver. Instead of changing that platform (which runs the same software as the DC-1, released in 1995), Lexicon will do the sensible thing and release a MC-12 based product with a reasonable price tag. This affects the going price too.

Personally, I would (did) buy the older (un-traded in - old tradeins are not elligible the second time arround) Lexicon of my choice (You can't beat Logic-7 on a 7.1 speaker array) and see what happens (You can't beat Logic-7 on a 7.1 speaker array. Yes, I'm repeating myself - 5.1 Logic-7 is merely noticeable over straight AC-3/DTS although 7.1 vs. 5.1 DTS/AC-3 is a quantum improvement where surround effects are involved. The Lexicon pieces aren't shabby in the 2-channel department either).

Randy G

Second Unit
For the most part, I agree with Drew.
IMHO, the key decision a prospective purchaser must make is determining whether they are happy with 5 channels or desire the better sonic field presented by 7 channels. If you only want 5, I'd forgo the Lexicon in favor of newer products like the Outlaw 950. If you want the last word in soundfield integration, you'd have to move up to 7 channels, and Lexicon(also Meridian) is really the only company who does it right. I recently purchased a used MC-1 so that I can move up to 7 channels. If and when DPLII is scaled up to 7 channels, I'd probably move up to that.
But don't forget, the Lex has many features that let you customize the soundfield in ways that other processors don't.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Upgrading to a 7-speaker set-up is what I am looking to do. Which is why the MC-1 along with the DC-2 had been at the top of the list of processors I was interested in. Since my HT has only one source for viewing material (DVD), I wonder if for the most part all the improvements the MC-12 and its soon to be released cousin (MC-6??) would pretty much be irrelevant to me. I’ve seen the specs on both these machines and it seems to me the biggest change the MC-12 brings is the addition of HD component video switching.

Mark- I wouldn't call the improvements in the MC-12 over the MC-1 night and day. I don't think there is a HUGE difference in the quality of sound between the 2..but the MC-12's bass management and new Logic 7 are really the reasons I went with it. I don't use DPLII, or some of the DTS modes..simply because I think Logic7 is that much better. I also don't use component-video switching in the MC-12..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks