What's new

Whats the consensus sub $200-250 DVD player (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend the Kenwood DV-6050. An amazing picture with the Faroudja DCDi chip. I tested a number of players in the 1k range and ended up keeping the Kenwood after a friend turned me onto it.

DVD-A is a huge plus as well. Great picture and sound but the worst remote I have ever seen.

I have seen them for $250 on the net.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I should mention its for the little lady, and a bad remote will get me hit....

ease of use is high on the list...

Rich

Jeff Drumm

Grip
I'm very impressed with my Pioneer DV-563A. CUE is virtually eliminated (you really have to look hard for it), and it also supports SACD and DVD-A formats . . . pretty remarkable for the price range it's in. The remote, although not back-lit, is very intuitive, and the front panel controls are quite complete. The only niggle is that the brightness of the LED display is only adjustable on the front panel. Very straightforward, guided on-screen setup facility.

Available at Best Buy, for well under $200.

Mine is connected via AR component cables to a Hitachi 57SWX20B. Although I'm not a videophile, I do find the picture to be outstanding.

--
- Jeff

Drew_W

Screenwriter
329 for a Denon DVD-1600 at Crutchfield. If you can stretch your budget a little, you can get an absolutely superb player. Search this forum for related threads, and read the reviews on http://www.hometheaterhifi.com in the DVD shootout section.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you have DVI on your TV then the Bravo D1 with DVI out is the only choice.
I'm not sure, but are you sure in terms of ergonomics (for "the little lady")? Haven't tried one myself, but this seemed like one of its main weak point from what little I read. Or did you miss his follow-up about "the little lady"?

Also, it's not necessarily true that the Bravo offers best PQ for all DVI-capable displays (and for all people) although I guess it's probably true enough for this particular price range.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks