What's the cheapest decent projector for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel Enero, May 6, 2002.

1. Arnel Enero

Arnel Enero Stunt Coordinator

Please help me find a good projector for less money. I'm new to HT, having been originally a 2-channel audio enthusiast.

Is it possible nowadays to get a decent projection system that costs no more than $4000, with the screen included?

I've heard from non-HT-enthusiast friends that stuff like the NEC LT-series projectors might do. But I wonder if that is correct, because most of these DLP (?) projectors are being used for meeting rooms, etc.

Please give me some guidelines and/or specific product recommendations.

Thanks.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Arnel-
    Check out this recent thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=AE100
    You can get the Panasonic AE100 for $1400 delivered from pricejapan.com ; A nice DaLite screen will be about $2-300 delivered from avscience.com . So figure about $1700 as your starting point, and the sky is the limit.
    The NEC LT-150 is designed as a ultra portable "meeting room" projector, but it is excellent as a home theater display. As you've guessed, not all meeting room PJs are suitable, but if you search here and over at avsforum.com you can find a few more suitable candidates.

3. FrankB

FrankB Agent

Check out the "Plus Home Piano HE-3100". Do a google search and you will find a bunch of reviews. It is $3000. It's not HDTV capable, but is supposed to be great for DVDs. It sounds like the comb filter on the composite input isn't great, but the line doubler is top notch. No zoom, but it keeps the cost down.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The panny AE-100 sounds like a real good projector at such a great price, i would definitely take a look into that one