What's new

What's the cheapest decent projector for a newbie? (1 Viewer)

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Please help me find a good projector for less money. I'm new to HT, having been originally a 2-channel audio enthusiast.

Is it possible nowadays to get a decent projection system that costs no more than $4000, with the screen included?

I've heard from non-HT-enthusiast friends that stuff like the NEC LT-series projectors might do. But I wonder if that is correct, because most of these DLP (?) projectors are being used for meeting rooms, etc.

Please give me some guidelines and/or specific product recommendations.

Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Arnel-
Check out this recent thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=AE100
You can get the Panasonic AE100 for $1400 delivered from pricejapan.com ; A nice DaLite screen will be about $2-300 delivered from avscience.com . So figure about $1700 as your starting point, and the sky is the limit.
The NEC LT-150 is designed as a ultra portable "meeting room" projector, but it is excellent as a home theater display. As you've guessed, not all meeting room PJs are suitable, but if you search here and over at avsforum.com you can find a few more suitable candidates.

FrankB

Agent
Check out the "Plus Home Piano HE-3100". Do a google search and you will find a bunch of reviews. It is $3000. It's not HDTV capable, but is supposed to be great for DVDs. It sounds like the comb filter on the composite input isn't great, but the line doubler is top notch. No zoom, but it keeps the cost down.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The panny AE-100 sounds like a real good projector at such a great price, i would definitely take a look into that one

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks