What's new

What's the big dial on the electric meter for? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
All,
Since collectively amongst the lot of us, we know everything, ;) I thought I would throw this out there:
What does the big dial on my house electric meter show me? Is one revolution equal to one watt hour? I've never stood there and counted to 1000 to see if that's true.
Anyone?
Todd
P.S. I'm trying to isolate a bunch of idle loads. They really add up!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I think it functions as part of the motor that drives the dials to record the amount of electricy used.

Deane

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I think its simply the fastest moving gear in the whole meter chain. Its marked so that there is an easy visual means of determining if electricity is flowing.
It doesn't always represent a nice even number, such as 1/1000 of a kiloWatt-hour however, and the exact amount of energy used per disk rotation should be printed on the meter somewhere.
For an interesting idea on monitoring your meter usage (more than just the "grand total"):
Electric meter reader

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
No no no, it's the little dial on the left you should be interested in. THAT is the one you turn back. The big one is just for show. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks