What's new

Whats the best 12" Driver for under $300 ? (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm building a second DIY Sub and i want to make it GOOD like how Patrick Sun builds his kick ass subs.
So my question is what is the best 12" driver for under $300.
Please help thanks
-------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Mass12 is probably the best 12" on the market, based on displacement. I think it's around $300.
I don't know if the issue is budget or space. For the money, though, two 15" Tempests will outperform it by a large margin. They'll need lots more space,though.

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.
How would the mass sound against the Adire Shiva ?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
How would the mass sound against the Adire Shiva ?
Very similar, the "sound" of each driver being mostly determined by the chosen loading/alignment. The Mass12 will be capable of significantly higher SPL due to its higher displacement,Vd.
------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the trade-off: If you have the room, spend the money on a Tempest (saves you around $100), tune it around 16Hz, and be amazed! If you must use a small enclosure, use the Mass2012, use some PRs and tune it around 18Hz and be amazed!
Where's TerryC when you need the guy? :)
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot everybody.
I like the shiva i heard lots of good things about it.
For instince a few people said that the shiva driver is the best driver at any price.
What sub is better the SHIVA or the SHIVA MKII ?
Please help i'm only a kid........ :)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Tyler,
The Shiva-MKII is the only Shiva avaiable as the original Shiva is now the Shiva-MKII. With some slight improvments.
For the money the Shiva is a excellent driver with a long proven record.
Many here have used it in thier designs and speak highly of its abilitys. There are better divers for given designs but at its price point with basic ported and sealed designs one is hard pressed to do better than the Shiva.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
For instince a few people said that the shiva driver is the best driver at any price.
That's simply not true (care to site sources?), and I've never heard that stated on any board. Geoff's and Pat's comments are right-on.
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
MASS is $299. Tempest is a viable solution since it is $140 or less. "There's no subsitute for displacement". :)
Just like the other said, "depends on how much room you have available".
jd
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks