What's new

What's gonna be the BIG Christmas movie? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I usually go on vacation to the States in Summer & spend most of my time in cinemas seeing the big Summer blockbusters but I'm going to Miami on Dec 26th for 10 days & I thought there were usually some big films released at Christmas.

I checked imdb.com & the only 2004 film I can see coming out in the whole of December is Real Buddy which some low budget affair from Germany.

Am I wrong in thinking the studios usually release some big films for Christmas? Could they yet to be scheduled or am I gonna be disappointed?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The Polar Express and Ocean's Twelve will probably do quite well at the BO around Christmas time. Obviously the BO draw is going to be a little less than the last 3yrs.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
That's weird, if I search each of these titles on imdb, I can see they are out Nov 10 & Dec 10 respectively but if you look on the page with a list of forthcoming releases called Recent/upcoming releases for USA, neither of these are listed.

Are there any other big films due out around December that may not be on that list?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
IIRC The Phantom of the Opera opens on the 26th. Scorsese's The Aviator, Blade: Trinity, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and Meet the Fockers are probably the biggest in terms of BO for December. Personally i'm hanging out for The Life Aquatic also in limited release is I Am David which i'll go see because i'm a big fan of Paul Feig.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
OK, thanks guys.

There are a few of those films due out in the UK around the same time but here's what I'm gonna go see that isn't out here until next year:-

Ocean's Twelve
Meet The Fockers
Life Aquatic
National Treasure (if it's still showing)
SpongeBob Squarepants (for the kids)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS is my pick. The ad was just hiliarious. A few years ago, didn't someone open up a horror movie on Christmas that did pretty well?

Ryan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Surviving Christmas", oddly enough, is coming out on 10/22/04. I saw the trailer, and it got some good laughs (Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini star in the film).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Spang-lish with Adam Sandler looks like it will be a populist uplifting family comedy/melodrama. I expect it will outperform a lot of other films and get the worst overall reviews from critics.

But there's also Christmas with the Kranks, Surviving Christmas, The Polar Express, The Incredibles, Meet the Fockers, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Oceans Twelve and Phantom of the Opera to compete for best of the winter.

I've seen the Spang-lish trailer once in theatres, but it got a huge response and I think it could very well play pretty big, but it feels like the biggest wild card this upcoming season.

My predictions: The Incredibles 320 million+
Span-glish - 125-250 million
Meet the Fockers - 250 million
The Polar Express 215 million
A series of Unfortunate events - 185
Ocean's Twelve 165
Christmas with the Kranks 140
Phantom of the Opera 125
Surviving Christmas 85

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Compared to the past few years when we had a LOTR film AND and Harry Potter film to look forward to (except no HP in 2003), it's gonna be a pretty depressing Christmas at the cinema. :frowning:

Thank heavens for the LOTR:ROTK Extended Edition DVD that comes out at that time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The Incredible is what I'm looking forward to this Christmas.

Nick Sievers,

Is Paul Feig of I Am David the gentleman responsible for the TV show Freaks and Geeks?

Johnny G,

SpongeBob Squarepants is quite popular with audiences of all ages. :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

A James Brooks film getting the worst reviews? I doubt it. More likely, we're looking at Oscar pushes for Screenplay and Leoni, and if the film is REALLY good, a push for every category.

Fockers, Phantom, Snicket, and Polar have to be the B.O. juggernauts.

I, too, am most looking forward to Life Aquatic. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
hmm you're right, I forgot about the talent behind the film, I personally can't wait to see Spang-lish, but I remembered the tone of the trailer and Adam Sandler and just expected nasty vicious reviews. :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
There's a trailer?! I've gotta go check it out...

Wait a sec...Adam Sandler???? In a Brooks film? Yikes.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Phantom of the Opera is the film I'm most looking forward to this Holiday season. It's certainly something to do on Christmas! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks