What's new

What's a polite way of saying "That's none of your business!"? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Recently I've been in the situation where I've had strangers ask me sorta personal questions and I've really wanted to tell them to 'Fu*& Off!' However, given that I'm in a formal environment (i.e. summer office job), I don't consider even the phrase "That's none of your business" to be polite. So, in the interests of retaining civility of co-worker relations, could you please help pick out some more appropriate phrases. So far I've been bumbling by on stuff like, "That's a little personal isn't it!" :b I need better material. Help!

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Tell them that you would tell them but then you'd have to kill them. That way you are really just saving their life instead of being rude. ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I learned much of life from Ann Landers. Her suggested response is usually, "Why would you ask me that?"
I'm always amazed at people asking me how much the house, the car or the hooker (O.K....I made that up} cost. I often claim not to remember or that the item was a gift and I don't know.
When I was younger and completly unpredictable I used to reply with a staggeringly personal query about the questioner's wife.

Jim

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You could also answer by describing some disgusting medical condition is graphic detail.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Just say you don't feel comfortable talking about it.

or just paraphrase Patrick Bateman from 'American Psycho'

'That's none of your Fu***n business, but let me just say, it was very expensive'

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Slowly back away to a corner and tremble down to the floor, crying "Go away... go away. Just leave me alone!"

~T

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's excellent, Thi. I like that one. If it were me, I'd add a look of shock and horror on my face to the mix. Good thinking. Cowering in fear. Love it!

DennisHP

Second Unit
Saying that it's none of their buisness is not rude to me. If I don't know them that well and they are asking personal questions, they're the ones being rude and I am simply stating a fact: It is really none of their buisness.

Why do folks feel the need to be polite to rude people you don't even know?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Why do folks feel the need to be polite to rude people you don't even know?
Miss Manners would say, it's because you don't want to stoop to their level.

I would just respond, "I'd rather not discuss that." Very polite and leaves no room for interpretation.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Reginald’s advice. It's polite and to the point. If they continue to press the issue repeat and then walk away or change the subject with a question of your own that is not of a personal nature.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Just simply state the truth, "I'm sorry I just feel it's very personal and don't like to discuss subjects on this matter". Truth gets not only respect but usually is the nicest way to respond to any question. If you really feel like saying "F*** Y**! none of your business" then maybe another job not dealing with people that stress you might be in order though I'll admit some people really deserves this type of response.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
In general....whenever you do not want to offend anyone or put them on the defensive....use statements that begin with "I" and do not use the word "you."
Ex. "I prefer not to discuss my private life." or
"I would rather not get into that subject."
etc.....
When you say things like "Why would YOU ask?" or "That is none of YOUR business."
It can easily be interpreted as a subliminal attack (like you are saying they are a jerk for asking.) Sure...they might be a jerk for asking, but it is usually best given the "formal" situation you describe to just let it go with the "I" statements......change your tone of voice to be serious, but not stern and they will get the message without being offended.
:)

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Just smile at them, and walk away. When they ask why you walked away, smile at them and walk away.

When they get angry and begin yelling at you, smile at them and walk away.

Continue this until the person becomes so enraged that they lash out it a violent manner. They will be fired, and you don't have to answer the question.

Peter

Eve T

Supporting Actor
There really is no nice way to tell someone to mind their own business. If they are a true friend, they will understand when you say "I'd rather not discuss this" if they aren't a good friend they will become upset, and that's okay too. Let them become upset and hold your ground. Just tell them you'd rather not discuss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks