What's new

What year my movies are from - Chart (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
David, Pivot tables seems to be a great tool. Did not know about them. I like that you can import data dynamically from a database, which is very useful in my case.

After playing around for half an hour I could however still not get it the way I wanted. I get the years backwards, starting from the lowest instead of the highest. I also only get the years I have data for, so the graph does not show some of the years.

Ron

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
In case anyone hasn't figured it out, DVDProfiler has charts and graphs that can output by year. Note that it is based on DVDProfiler, so it only does UPC units, as opposed to feature titles or disc counts.

That's where the two graphs above with the yellow backgrounds comes from.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I'm actually kinda sad mine is so late 90's heavy-- time to get a better mix of older films. I'd love to see Crawdaddy's collection by year.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, Pivot tables seems to be a great tool. Did not know about them. I like that you can import data dynamically from a database, which is very useful in my case.

After playing around for half an hour I could however still not get it the way I wanted. I get the years backwards, starting from the lowest instead of the highest. I also only get the years I have data for, so the graph does not show some of the years.
It's possible to not only sort on pivot tables (and charts) like you would a normal list, but also to grab a single line and drag-and-drop it into the place you want to in the order you like. Play around with them and you'll get the hang of this (if I was standing over your shoulder I could demonstrate in seconds, but remotely I have a hard time describing the trick!).

Also, do this: In Excel, go to the pull-down menu "View", choose Toolbars, and then choose Customize. In the window that opens up, choose the Commands tab. Under "Categories" on the left side, pick Edit. Under the "Commands" list on the right, scroll to the bottom and look at the last item. It is an icon that looks like a dark blue square with an arrow pointing away from all four corners, and it's called "Select Current Region". Drag-and-drop it onto your toolbar somewhere, perhaps after the formatting icons (bold, italic, underline, etc.).

Also, change "Categories" to Data and halfway down under the "Commands" list find the icon for "PivotTable and PivotChart Report..." and you can drag-and-drop that next to the "Select Current Region" icon on your toolbar.

Now you can click the "Close" button on the Customize window and you're set. For any block of data that is in adjacent-and-touching cells, on- or off-screen at the moment, you can grab the entire block with the "Select Current Region" icon. To demonstrate how this works: on a black spreadsheet, put any data in cell A1, in B2, and in C4. Now put the cursor on B2 and click the Select Current Region icon. Notice that A1, A2, B1, and B2 are selected by C4 (which isn't "touching" B2) is not selected. Play with it.

This is great because you can now select everything you want to put in the pivot table easily, then click the PivotTable icon next to it and whatever you've pre-selected will be the subject of the PivotTable or PivotGraph.

That's the lesson for today. Visa or MasterCard is accepted :wink:

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Here's the breakdown of my collection based on decade (counting titles rather than number of discs) :

20s - 2
30s - 9
40s - 21
50s - 40
60s - 32
70s - 21
80s - 21
90s and 00s - 68

I didn't realize I had so many movies from the 50s and 60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks