What's new

What would you do? (1 Viewer)

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in recording one show while having the ability to watch another. That said, here are the details:

I have a plasma HDTV with a HD cable box tuner set up plus a dvd and a 5.1 home theater component setup. Also have a VCR on a separate line & small tv (bypassing the HD setup but that means a separate issue of recording then attaching front connections to watch the recording). (no HD of course)

My cable company promises a dual hard drive pvr will be available SOMEDAY for about $1 per month. They presently offer a single but you must record the same channel you are watching.

Considered TIVO but dumped that idea.

How would YOU handle this small problem/goal? Buy a dual hard drive recorder, buy a single drive pvr or continue to use the vcr for now or what? Specific equipment recommendations and setup suggestions appreciated.

(I have seen some of the wiring options but wanted to get first hand experience)

Thanks for your help.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Come to the UK and buy Sky Plus - you can record two programmes at full bit rate and watch a recording of a third simultaneously (and if you had a CD-R you could record a third programme on terrestrial simultaneously).

Okay, I'll try to be helpful - why not TIVO?

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
No Tivo because my cable co will give me a (single hard drive) pvr for $1 per month. Almost the same as Tivo so why pay a subscription fee like $299 plus the cost of a box?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Fair comment.

I think the best solution would be to replace the VCR with a DVD-R with hard disc and then wait for the dual hard drive pvr. That way you whilst you're waiting you could at least solve the problem of having to connect the VCR to the big TV all the time since you could play your recorded DVDs on your 'main' DVD. And when/if the dual pvr arrives, you then still have an added recording resource and 'backup' DVD player.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
andrew,

Do you recommend a particular dvd-r with a hard disc machine (saving me some research time) and what sequence would you use to wire this to my system?

Would you wire before the cable box or after?

Thanks

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Mike, at this point my ignorance shows itself horribly. As I'm a Brit I really can't comment on the specifics of your systems or know what's a good buy. Sorry!

Anyone else care to chip in?

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Reviving this topic because my cable operator STILL has not come up with their dual drive pvr.

Now considering TIVO and I understand there is a machine that allows only basic service included in the purchase price.

I also think I want to burn some recorded programs onto dvd's.

Advise on what I might purchase rather than wait for my cable company to come through?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are in luck here because SOME of the Tivos with DVD recorder also have the basic functionality. TivoBasic is like a digital VCR and nothing more. You don't get the Season Passes, Wish Lists, the ability to search, etc. And you don't get dual tuners. I recommend the DirecTivo and a DVD recorder if you want the best of both worlds.

-Robert

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, you are correct, I meant to say dual tuners.

It was to watch one show and record another at the same time. Thats why I thought of basic only.

What machine would you recommend to accomplish this goal, preferably in HD?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since your local cable company is dragging their feet, you only have a few choices. DirecTV with the HR10-250 (HD DirecTivo), Dish with the PVR921 or a Zenith/LG model that records OTA only. The HR10-250 is about $900 for new customers. The PVR921 is $550 but it only has one OTA tuner (but dual sat tuners) so that limits its functionality. The LG is a single tuner model only.

-Robert

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to this topic myself, and I'm still researching, so I may be wrong on this. However, wouldn't it also be an option to get a DVD recorder that included DVD-RAM? I believe that those let you record and watch at the same time. You'll also want a player with DVD-R, or something else as well, since DVD-RAM is not all that compatible with other players.

Sorry if this is all wrong, but that's the understanding I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks