What's new

What was the first game that drove you insane? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I mean the very first console, arcade, or PC game that absolutely made you cut out sleep, food, homework, or anything else just to 'get to the next level'? In other words, your first taste of eCrack.

For me, probably Ultima III back in the day. I played it on my friend's Apple IIe and bought it next day for my C64. I spent weeks staying up all night in our spare room plugging away on that game one summer. Man, that was a looooong time ago in a mindset far, far away...

What was your first electronic habit of choice?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
The first game that drove me insane? As far as I can remember, this award goes to Double Dragon on NES. Damn, that game was so hard. Me and my neighbor tried day and night forever trying to beat DD and I dont think it ever happened :angry: :angry:
Maybe its time to try again...
JQ

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Super Mario 3 for NES. Me and my cousin played this one 24 hours straight without breaks!

Another one would be Street Fighter 2 on SNES... I can remember me and three other friends crammed into my tiny room in the peak of Summer sweating our asses off amidst the flurry of Hadokens!

EdR

Second Unit
The first was Tempest.
The only game that made me miss meals, though, was the arcade version of Star Wars. I once played it for 8 hours on a single quarter (thankfully it was a 'sit down' version).
After a few episodes like that, I was banned from playing it at the local arcade...they weren't making money on it ;)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...Killer Instinct had me thoroughly addicted for a while...but I think it was probably one of the FF games or Lunar that had me addicted to the point of staying up WAY too late.

Thought I did play Rayman 3 so much that I beat the ENTIRE game in under 3 days.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Tetris. I can't think of any other game that caused hallucinations. :eek:
-Dave

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Micro League Baseball on my AppleIIe. I would actually play a "season" (they didn't offer anything but one game and done back then) and keep stats for my team in a notebook. I always used the AL All-Stars vs. the NL All-Stars.
I was an Ultima III e-addict too - but alas, I never did finish that game. No www.gamefaqs.com back in the day ;)
The game at the arcade that ate most of my quarters was Galaga. I still love that game even today.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Thought I did play Rayman 3 so much that I beat the ENTIRE game in under 3 days.
Did you mean to say Rayman 2? I don't think the third one is out yet. If it is, where the hell did you get it so that I can have my own copy?
If you did mean Rayman 2, I agree. That was an awesome game. It's one of the best platformers I've played in years.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Bionic Commando on the NES. I played that damned game for HOURS until I beat I it twice in a row. It wasn't the frist game but it was the one that I can remember being the absolute most involved in. I couldn't get enough of it back then.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There were a bunch of Commodore 64 games that seemed like they would have an end, but I never found one :) One was called FIST

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Quake's Threewave CTF was the first game I ever stayed up all night playing, but only because it was so damn fun. Didn't drive me insane, though. Too bad no other CTF has come even close to being that good.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The original Dragon Warrior on NES took all my time whereas Kaboom! for the Atari 2600 drove me to the brink of insanity.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Mario
Any Mario game causes insanity I believe, it is what makes it so good. In fact all the major Nintendo franchise games cause temporary insanity.
Thats why I love em:)
For games that are like drugs and alter your perception of reality, there are only two that do that to me.
1. TETRIS: This game is the original drug. You start looking at everyday objects and mentally spinning them and moving them to make solid lines in your head. It is insane. The major upside to this game is it makes you a very efficient packer when you need to move things!:)
2.TONY HAWK: The new drug of choice. These games never get old because you are basically limited only by your own imagination. I dont think I am the only one who after playing for hours on end goes outside for a while and begins looking at objects to trick off of in real life. Kinda like you want to grind down the escalator in the mall then do a heelflip just to grind the bench infront of it, then transferring to the railing in the walkway, then manual till you reach the next escalator? Or maybe I am a little sick in the head...

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
This game for the Apple, called Dungeon. Pretty simplistic, but I was determined to be a god in that game. I ended up quitting once these turtle-like monsters on the wall facing me, would suck away random goodies I had found in deep parts of the game.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. I propably should have quit and gone on with life, but I vowed to beat the game. Three weeks later, I finally did.

whereas Kaboom! for the Atari 2600 drove me to the brink of insanity.
Every once and a while, I still play this game nonstop for hours.

I also spent my freshman year in college playing multiplayer Mario Kart and Goldeneye. I can honestly say that I spent more time doing that then studying for classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks