What's new

What TVs support all rez's 480p 720p 1080p (1 Viewer)

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
Sup peeps....

i just wanted to know what brand and models of HDTV's support all rez's like 480i/p 720i/p 1080i/p ?

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
anyone??????? no one knows???????? is there a tv that can support all rez's?

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Actually most of the TVs will not display both 720p AND 1080I. Most will do one OR the other but not both. Most do 1080i and 480p. Everything is up or down converted to the displays native res.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
The Panny RPTVs have supported 720p native on 2 model runs, and now again do not. They say it takes much finer electronics to support 720p native at 45KHz than it does to downconvert incoming 720p to 1080i, at 33KHz. Therefore displaying 720p native is more expensive and they have chosen not to do it anymore. At least that was the word at CES in January.

Many of the fixed pixel devices like plasmas and DLPs support 720p native, because their chips/pixel structure are set up that way.

But I don't know of any CRT based RPTVs at this time that support 720p native. They all downconvert it to 1080i.

Which means they can say they "handle" 720p, or "are compatible with" 720p, which they do, and are. They simply do not display it in its native format. They "handle" it by taking it in and downconverting it, but they don't put it out.

I saw the 1080p LCOS at CES, and it was a wonder to behold. It is the only fixed pixel image I could sit as close to as I sit from my own CRT based RPTV, and still be happy, free of screendoor effect. There were 2 of them, and they were displaying 1080p DVD, which Toshiba also had, coming from a couple of proprietary prototype DVD players, one red laser and one blue laser. It was magnificent!

If you want to see a native CRT 720p capable image, click on my website, below. The image is a 1080i CBS image, but the electronics that display it are 45KHz capable.

Mr Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks