What's new
World Wide Stereo

What to do when one channel of TV audio output goes out? (1 Viewer)

Crymar

Auditioning
Real Name
Cass Rymar
I initially posted this in the basic forum, but it appears to belong here. I'm new to the forum, and as a home theatre novice, I need some advice. I've got a 2-channel stereo audio amp connected to the audio outputs on my Sony 51" LCD projector TV so I can listen to TV sound through my two big stereo speakers. However, the left audio channel in the TV itself went out, so now only one channel of TV sound plays through the amp. DVDs, CDs etc. play fine through both speakers, so the problem is definitely a blown audio circuit in the TV. Since I don't use the TV speakers at all, I'd hate to pay to have the audio repaired if there's a way to avoid it. Will using an AV receiver give me two-channel sound without repairing the audio circuit in the TV? Not having any experience with AV receivers, I assume that an AV receiver bypasses the TV audio circuit by amplifiying the audio signal right from the AV coaxial cable. Also, is it possible to hook up two stereo speakers to a 5-channel AV receiver and still get good stereo sound? My TV is in a small room and there's no need for 5-channel surround sound. Any advice on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

728x90

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
An A/V receiver cannot process audio from a coax cable, you need a TV tuner for that and receivers do not have tuners. You could use an old VCR or a cable box for a tuner and utilize the audio outs from either of those. That's about the only option you have, besides reparing/replacing the TV.

Crymar

Auditioning
Real Name
Cass Rymar
Thanks for the response. That brings to mind the following question. Does the audio signal coming in from the coax cable go through the cable box and to the AV receiver without passing through the TV's audio circuitry? That is, does the cable box just feed the audio signal to the AV receiver bypassing the TV's audio circuits? If I used an AV receiver, it seems that I would get sound in both channels and could forget about the TV's audio problem. Also, could I connect only two stereo speakers to a 5-channel AV receiver?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Crymar

Thanks for the response. That brings to mind the following question. Does the audio signal coming in from the coax cable go through the cable box and to the AV receiver without passing through the TV's audio circuitry? That is, does the cable box just feed the audio signal to the AV receiver bypassing the TV's audio circuits? If I used an AV receiver, it seems that I would get sound in both channels and could forget about the TV's audio problem. Also, could I connect only two stereo speakers to a 5-channel AV receiver?
In addition to the coax output, a cable box should have at least a pair of red/white RCA analog audio outs and a yellow RCA video out. It may also have a digital optical or coax output, and s-video, component and/or HDMI for video, depending on the model. You will get the best video in this order - coax, yellow RCA (composite), s-video, component or HDMI. Digital optical will allow you to receive Dolby Digital from channels that broadcast it, if you have a A/V receiver with Dolby Digital.

With your current stereo receiver and a cable box, you would send the red/white analog outs to the receiver and the coax or (preferably) a higher quality video to the TV.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
If your existing stereo integrated amp/receiver (I assume it is not a power amp with no volume control) is working fine, and you have no desire for surround sound, there's absolutely zero reason to go out & buy a new receiver. Just continue to use the old one.

Just get a cable box, or preferrably get out of the dark ages & get a high-definition DVR, either a TivoHD (expensive initially, but cheapest+best long run) or rent the cable company DVR. Why buy an HDTV and not watch actual HD on it?

Crymar

Auditioning
Real Name
Cass Rymar
Thanks to both Jeff and Steve for your advice. I didn't realize there was a separate audio output on my cable box/DVR. I should have taken a look at the box before going to the forum. I'll check it out. Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks