What's new

what the heck! my computer speakers must have been baptised! (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
So I was sitting at my computer, and I had the music going, but when I turned it off I thought I could hear something, coming from somewhere. It sounded like a woman singing, I couldn't figure it out for a minute, but then realized it was my computer speakers. but I wasn't playing anything! that lasted for a second, and then it changed to some man reading something or other from the bible. This lasted for a couple minutes. It wasn't very loud. and when I put my speakers on mute the voice will still coming out, no louder or quieter than before. It wasn't very loud. I had to bring the speaker to my ear to tell what he was saying.
I just thought this was really weird. Maybe the catholic church has turned to recruting people using subliminal messages or something! :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It could be an AM broadcast close by. Could even be a church.
Your speakers are still connected to an amplifier circuit, I guess, and this circuit may receive a locally strong station. Because some "rectification" is always present in any circuit, especially the input stage of an amplifier, it may be able to turn the AM-modulated waves into sound (de-modulate).

Cees

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That's nothing. Years ago, we lived near a radio station, and it came through loud and clear over the telephone -- so much so that it sometimes drowned out the conversation! In fact, my mother occasionally picked it up on her fillings.
Of course, in the converse to your experience, I happen to know of a PA system in a local church which was put in carelessly, to the extent that beer ads and horse races sometimes borke into the sermon. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks