What's new

"What the #$*! Do We Know?" That this movie is horrible !! (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What a farse. Has anyone else seen this non-sense of a movie? Total garbage. I was expecting an interesting movie and I was insulted with a laughable and horrible experience. The movie skims the surface of some facinating science, actually mis-representing some science, and then starts to theorize hair-brained, half-baked concepts seemingly based on real science, only to veer off into new-age non-sense with no substantiating proof of anything. New age is fine, although I'm not interested in it, but you can't talk about concrete science and then extrapolate to completely hollow theories with no fundamental basis for proof. What a disappointment. Oh, and the psychic woman is a moron. The whole theatre laughs at her, not with her. Just because people are filmed saying things in a way which seems to hope that a sense of wonder is communicated, it doesn't mean that the audience is going to mouth the word "wow" and nod their heads in life affirming agreement. There's one thing missing, a facinating idea that is fresh and new and makes sense. An idea that is understood as believable. A conclusion to tie together the idea's presented throughout the film. Nope. Nothing like that happens in this film. I noticed another person has mentioned elsewhere on IMDB that they suspect this movie is a front for a cult. Hmmm. I think that may make sense. Too bad I don't know what I was being sucked into. I was duped though. This movie is NOT what its advertised to be. I haven't even gone into the horrible production values, riduclous premise for a "story" and all the rest of the disconnected and idiotic structure and content of this movie. If you were thinking of sitting around with your friends and poking yourself in the eye with a fork, or cutting yourself with a knife and pouring vinegar and salt on your wounds, hey, save your efforts, just take in this movie instead. If you want to see something interesting, find another movie. In the meantime, read a book like "A brief history of time", or "Zero, the biography of a Dangerous Idea". At least they are interesting and based on more provable facts than the intelligence insulting movie What the Bleep do we know. What is the consequence of any of the supposed eye-opening discoveries in this movie? Nothing.

I write this angry post because half way through the movie I was angry anyone suggested I see this movie and I wanted my money back. This movie gets a 3/10 from me.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Chris, continuing from the other forum: it didn't sound to me like you were fooled. The Toronto Star had like a whole page (IIRC) on this movie when it was shown here, and the reviewer/writer had no idea it was bunk. Questioned a lot of it, like anybody might for any "documentary", but didn't have quite enough background to say: this is BS. As far as alternative belief systems (BS) go, I have no problem either, just not for me when they use pseudo-science to promote their own objectives...it's the modern style, basing a religion on "science" to make it seem more real and relevant. There are plenty of other "churches" that do this, these guys just aim for a higher level.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Oh well. Scary. I guess I didn't catch the article. I just meant that I was un-prepared, un-aware, even after this movies has already been out for a while.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
What movie? It seems as if the title has been replaced by "this movie" every time the title would appear in the post.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The name of the movie is actually What the Bleep Do We Know?, with the Bleep (for the US release, anyway) done in Greek letters to look more scientific.

I was going to see it until I heard it was, to put it politely, scientifically weak, then figured I might as well not spend money to get angry.

The thing's still playing here, after two or three months, though.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

It is.

When it was playing at my local cineplex I looked it up on the internet, and followed a trail of links that eventually lead me to the Ramtha cult out of the Seattle area.

JZ Knight, who I am told is interviewed rather extensively in the film, and from whom the main character of the film is loosely based, is the head of the Ramtha organization.

Google "Ramtha" to find additional information. At best Ramtha is described as an currupt organization with cultist tendencies. JZ Knight herself hordes the wealth earned by Ramtha and uses it to breed horses rather than promote any spiritual agenda. Or, at least, this is what I am told.

Sufficed to say, after I heard this, I decided to skip the movie, and did my best to "deprogram" all the people who tried to turn me onto the film. The movie really did attract a lot of attention in my town, getting a lot of people interested in this branch of quasi-tech spirituality, which any scientist will tell you is pure hokum.

Look up the director, writers and producers of the film. It will not tell you in their bios that they are members of the Ramtha cult. Visit their personal webites to get another perspective -- they will link you directly to Ramtha's mainpage!

This film is a thinly-disguised recruitment video, in my opinion. If you know anyone who likes this film, you might want to very kindly, and gently, turn them onto some links that might lead them to a deeper truth about this film's intentions. They should know that this film was conceived by a money-hording woman who believes (or says she believes) that she is the reincarnation of an ancient dead warrior from the lost continant of Atlantis.

I'm not even joking. :thumbsdown:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Worse than I thought. I received an email from a friend about the movie and I didn't research it. I just went to see it straight up.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
They've done a good job with the bait and switch for this film, promoting it as if it's a serious discussion of science. Once you get in the theater it becomes pretty obvious that's exactly what you won't be getting. It's pseudo-science and junk philosophy masquerading as hard science. One of the worst scenes from any film this year: the wedding scene with the CGI blobs dancing to Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love". I have it on my list of the year's worst films.

There's a good debunking of the film here. (If you're not a subscriber to salon.com you'll have to view an ad to be able to read the article.)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It's been playing non-stop for about three months here in Boulder. That should tell you about all you need to know about the film. I'm continuously amazed at how gullible so much of the supposedly well-educated Boulder population is. Actually, I'm probaly more disappointed that I haven't implemented a way to exploit them for their money yet. :D

Brad

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think we're going to have to invent a new title for documentaries that are actually not based on fact, but striaght-up opinions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A good friend (a colleague from grad school) saw it, expecting an interesting look at the assumptions behind modern science. He warned me away from it, saying essentially that it was garbage.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My friend is believing "some" of it, although not outright supporting the Ramtha stuff. I need to see the movie again when it comes out on video/dvd and dissect it to peices. It was so bad I didn't even pay close enough attention to exactly what nonsense they were saying, and what they were claiming.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
This has also been playing in Atlanta for 3-4 months. There was an article on it in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Faith & Values section on Saturday with various community religious leaders disucssing its significance. Surprisingly, most of them did not dismiss it and carried on a serious discussion, seeming to think the movie had positive attributes. And yes, they specifically mentioned the Ramtha association and didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this film's distributors are offering insanely good rates to theaters; some of these insanely long runs would be surprising otherwise.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
They are offering positive thoughts and alternate reality discounts on time travel....lol... :cool:

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, I saw this movie and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. I was dissapointed in it. Most of it is crap and they give way to much airtime to that cult leader lady as if she was some expert. The part about the bottles of water with different "feeling" labels and everything in between taking itself as science was pathetic.:thumbsdown:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Chris PC. If you truly want to encourage people to believe what you say, it would probably be a good idea to invest some time in things like spelling, punctuation and paragraphs in your posts, and take a chill pill where hyphens are concerned. Also, you go on and on about how the movie is BS, but you never say anything substantive. Take Elijah Sullivan's first post as a fine example of how to effectively shoot down faulty ideas point by point.

Brings to mind a great film quote. "We laugh because it is funny and we laugh because it is true." And that is so true. That's probably about all I can say on the topic without breaking forum guidelines, except that we here in Colorado have the most bizarre mix of beliefs among our population.

I had heard this title somewhere, but had no idea what it was. I have to say, this thread has me intrigued. I find it both fascinating and horrifying the things people can rally behind. I expect I will be seeing this movie once (if) it comes out on DVD and if it is available for rent. I'd like to see it, but I want to put as little money into the hands of the makers as possible.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Reading some of the many bits of info about this movie and the group as a whole, I now realize why I have never attainted the slightest bit of enlightenment. It costs too damn much money.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Wow. SO glad I read this thread, as I was actually thinking this was a smart indie film like "Pi" or something similar. Thanks for steering me away from this film, fellas--this sounds like a theological "F-9/11".

You wonder how "in-depth" the DVD of this film will go "behind-the-scenes." I doubt we'll see anything objective from that standpoint, though it IS ironic to me that this film is being exposed while the Wachowski Brothers got two Ivy League philosophy professors to give audio commentary on what is essentially just another Hollywood popcorn trilogy.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, I liked the first Matrix, after all. But there are a couple reviews from authoritative DVD websites (DVDTalk, for instance) on the new ten-disc collector's set that lap up the trilogy's philosophical posturings FAR too eagerly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks