What's new

What recievers allow sub Xover settings? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I have a H/k AVR 230 and cannot set the sub xover or get a test tone from it for the sub. Can you tell me which companys make recievers that allow for this?

Craig

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
many

almost anything that's mid to upper level in just about any of the major manufacturers' offerings will have a variable xover. entry-level models will often only offer a fixed xover.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The HK 230 has a triple crossover.
Setting for the center, mains, rears.
If you set those all to 80hz anything below that will be sent to the sub.
Do you have everything hooked up correctly.
Cable going from receiver(sub 0ut) to Input on back of subwoofer.
Subwoofer is powered on?

etc

chad

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sub is turned on in the receiver's speaker setup and at least some of the speakers are set to small? Adjustable x-over isn't going to make any difference if you get no sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Whenever the x-over is in use, it is working for both your sub and whatever speaker is it doing bass management for.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
What I'm saying is with pre-amps like lexicon, Anthem and most other high end pre-amps you can select the point you want your subwoofer to take over. I know I can set all my speakers to small and say for example set the all to 80hz, but i would like to be able to set the subs crossover at say 30hz and lower just for example. I can't do that with the H/K, can't afford a high end pre-pro so wanted to know if there were any recievers where you could actually set the sub cxover or just have a little more control than the H/k.

Craig

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What would be the point of having two different x-overs? Your speakers would not blend with each other and you would end up with a gap.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Ok let me ask you guys this then, why do company's like lexicon and other high ends pre's allow for seperate xovers?

Craig

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If I am not mistaken some of the new Denon's have adjustable sub crossovers. I believe that the new avr-3805 has an adustable sub crossover. And so should the new avr-5905 but that will be up there in price with Lexicon.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Lower end receivers tend to be really "secretive" regarding their bass managment specs. I own to low cost receivers, an Onkyo TXSR500 and a Kenwood VR6050. Only the Onkyo have crossover cut settings (80-100-120Hz) but it does not state if the cut is working also on the sats. It can be presumed that it is, but is not specificated.

On the Kenwood, there is simply not information regarding the cut, I have emailed Kenwood's customer support and one guy told me it is at 100Hz but another told me it is at 120Hz! :rolleyes::eek:

What is worst is that, to my ears, its more like at 80Hz, which is too low for small sats.

On the other hand, Kenwood has a special EQ for closing the gap between the sub and the sats, and it improves very much the transition between the two. But, there is no explanation of what does this EQ does, nor the frecuencies that are altered nor nothing.

I find discusting that there is not such kind of information for the consumer, because its almost like saying, "nah, you don't deserve to have that information, if you dont have the big bucks to buy our flagship products then you surely dont have the technical background required to understand such technical things..."

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Craig:

Just a guess here, but I wonder if multiple crossover connections on pre/pro are intended for bi-amping? Two external crossovers per channel would be used to separate highs & mids to one amp, and the low frequencies to another.

I use a midpriced Yamaha AVR and there are nine different subwoofer crossover points. Only the subwoofer reproduces frequencies below the cutoff point selected in the crossover.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Will.MA, I have been looking at the Yamaha's and I believe I'm going to go that route. They say I can bring it home for 30 days to see if I like it too.

Craig

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Since I purchased the 5790 I noticed that the unit ran moderately warm after light use. Earlier tonight I swapped the 14 AWG wire with naked connections for non-exotic 10 AWG terminated with 24k screw-down banana plugs. The receiver is mated to 8-ohm AR towers at main & surround L/R rated 90dB sensitivity. Checking the temperature after a movie viewing in 7.1 DD I found a HUGE reduction in operating temperature. If you are thinking of auditioning it for 30 days, you might want to keep this in mind if you have concerns about the temperature.

I wish I could say there was an improvement in sound after the cable swap, but I haven't auditioned enough movies with the former cabling to have a baseline for comparison. In addition, the receiver and the monitors are still being broken in as they have less than ten hours use each. I expect the sound to find its unique character as I use the setup more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.