What's new

What Receivers Have the Most Musical Sound, Best Build Quality? (1 Viewer)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Slade: Could you let us know when you buy an 8500 so we can happily wait 32 days for the 8600!

Thanks!:D

fernandos

Auditioning
I currently have a Marantz SR-8400 model which was introduced in Jan 05, bought in July 05. It is rated at 7x110 watts per channel with gold plated input/outputs,2 component in, 1 out, 6 digit inputs, DPL IIX processing included and it sounds absolutely wonderful. Marantz generally deals only with custom installers and authorized dealers (very strict about unauthorized dealer sales) so Marantz is not talked about as much as Denon, Yamaha, HK, Onkyo, etc but they are extremely solid, dependable receivers. Even their lower level models have excellent build quality. I've had 2 HKs, Yamaha, SONY ES, and an Onkyo before (all used with the same Polk audio speakers; calibrated with a rat shack SPL meter) and the Marantz sounds better than all of the previous receivers I've owned (with the 2 HK's a close second). I've been really impressed with the sound quality (very neutral to warm, depending on the source material) and outstanding in home theater as well. I'm running a 7.1 setup. You can't go wrong with a Marantz. Just my 2 cents.;)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Fernandez:

Are you SURE about that Jan 05 introduction?

I bought my 8500 in October (or was it Sept.?)... anyway, I don't think Marantz would introduce both receivers in the same year so close together... just wondering.

If the 8400 was introduced only one year ago, and the 8500 somewhere between, then I'm sure the 8600 is a LONG ways away!

Would you mind double-checking? Do you maybe have an 8500?

JackS

Supporting Actor
A European review of about a year ago compared five flagship receivers. This is the only review I've ever seen that has done this. I've seen several that compare two or three.
Their results listed in order of prefference- Yamaha, Sony, Denon, Pioneer and Marantz.
However, I would probably always buy exactly what I liked and not use a recomendation from anyone or any review.
The popularity of Pioneer and Marantz by many should be a tip-off that reviews and prefferences vary widely and do not speak to any individual period.
Shop for the receiver you like and be happy rather than regret a decision made by someone else. Good Luck

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
For many years, I've been looking for musical nirvana. I tried and tried to find a receiver that would fill both needs - movies and music. Movies was an easy achievement. Music, on the other hand, left me always desiring more. In 3-4 years, I owned 12 5.1 to 7.1 receivers and even traded out 3-4 sets of speakers along the way. On each receiver sale, I lost $100-200. Just plain dumb on my part, I guess.

Well, yesterday, I hit the music nirvana that I was after. No longer will I try to find a receiver that does both movies and music. What did it for me? Well, it's a 25+ year old stereo receiver. Yes, 1979 vintage. At that famous auction site, I won a G-7000 receiver made by Sansui. Toroidal transformer, etc. Very solid build.

After correcting some of the shipping damage, I connected the receiver to my Infinity Beta 20s at 4:00 or so this morning. I didn't use my best CD player, just a Maganavox that has reasonably decent DACs on it. I put on some contemporary jazz (type of music I mostly listen to). The sound was so full, musical, pleasant. I kept checking the receiver to ensure I didn't have the loudness button turned on and the bass/treble settings were flat. Even though I have an SVS sub, I even looked at the back to ensure the green light wasn't on - even though I knew it was in no way connected to my Sansui.

Wow! I mean, I can't believe that I neglected some of this fine vintage gear with wonderful sounds all this long. I grew up with the stuff. I owned some of the very low end stuff at the time. Clearly, the G-7000 was out of my league - being in high school at the time and I'm sure my father didn't make $750 in 2 months' wages. So, clearly, it was way out of my league at the time. Fortunately, I only paid $105.00 for it. Sure, there are a few nicks here and there - but none of 'em affect the sound in any way.

Enjoy! :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would love to give some older gear a try. Maybe I'll try and find a good vintage Marantz, H/K or ? just for fun. A two channel system in the bedroom might just pull me away from my total addiction to 5.1 sound. To me, a "musical" avr, while offering a flat frequency response, is more open and spacious (stereo separation, sound stage?) than a less musical one. More of the signal seems to be coming from "outside" the fronts and almost up in the air as compared to some receivers where the sound is more centrally located. The differences are small, but when you listen to the same piece of music over and over....and over, the smallest difference can be very noticable. I consider my H/K 520 to be musical and my Pioneer 1014 and Onkyo (htib) ht-500 to be less so, almost "cold". The source player can also have an effect on the overall sound. I think my Yamaha 6770 dvd player is very "bright" compared to the Philips and Pioneer it replaced. But still very musical.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Gene,

I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with some of the older gear. Plus, you can do it on the cheap, too. Unlike investing $1,200 in a home theater receiver. However, it does seem like the vintage gear is catching on a bit, so you have to tread carefully.

Don't overlook your local Craig's list, thrift shops, etc. At times, vintage gear does show up there. Ebay can be a tough game. Bids can often "get up there" a bit and tend to break budgets.

I just wish I had some of those speakers that I sold off around me now. While I found certain weaknesses with them in pairing them with h/t receivers and using them for music. I'm sure most of them would sing wonderfully with the vintage receiver. A bit later today, I'll connect the Onix CD player. The DACs are better than the Magnavox provides, so it should be another improvement in sound.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't play the ebay game. Not against it, but I'm not knowledgable enough about it to make the process a success. I do use it to see whats available and what the going prices are. Thrifts stores, pawn shops and used stereo stores are my best bet. I think my uncle in Oregon still has an early '70's Concord Quad receiver. My aunt basically gave away his '60's Marantz receiver and huge Klipsch speakers a few years ago. Not supposed to mention that when she's in the house. Takes about an hour for him to cool off.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Hunting out some good vintage gear is a great way to get good sound at a bargain. You take a chance buying over eBay though, and you have to know your stuff (just 'cuz it's vintage, doesn't mean it's quality - there's a lot of old crap).

Slade

Agent
Hey, the old vintage receivers is good idea for good stereo music. What are some good ones? Any particular models that are considered supreme classics? (I'm not talking about $1000 collector units...)

By the way, what kind of receiver was the Pioneer SX-790 receiver? I'm guessing it was made in the seventies? I think it's around 100w per channel, but not sure.

Thanks

fernandos

Auditioning

__________________________________________________ _____
GregoriusM,

I stand corrected. The SR-8400 was introduced at the Jan 2004 CES. I bought one in Jun 05 from a UBID.COM auction which Marantz authorized. It was brand new in the box with a 3 yr warranty
(registered via Marantz's website). There were about 250-300 units sold across a 2-3 month time period via UBID. Yes, it is an SR-8400; main differences between it and the SR-8500 are: 7X110 watts per vs 7X125 watts per (toroidal transformer though, and, only 2 component in with video upconversion w/time base correction), no DVI ins/outs, no M.R.A.C, no THX certification, and a different faceplate. It does however, have gold plated ins/out with the copper plated chassis and HDCD. Not particularly flashy but a wonderful sounding receiver.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Fernandez: I have not doubt that it sounds great. I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between yours and mine.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Greg

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
JVC made some increadable recievers in the early 80s. My dad had one that was like 70x2 and it took him upgrading to some high dollar McIntosh stuff to hear a difference.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Their amps seem to be solid, but they've had QC problems with their receivers in the past. I don't know how their current receivers are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks