What's new

What Person Appears Most in Movie Credits? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
By that I mean what individual. This came to mind when we watched “The Cat and the Canary” the other day. A saw a credit and that she must have received the most credits of all time. I’m thinking of Edith Head.

This is probably something that can’t be proven. What do you think? Am I right or do you know of someone else to nominate?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Certainly the prolific Max Steiner would be a candidate. Between 1931 and 1965, Steiner was grinding out film scores like like hotcakes. In 1939 alone, he wrote 13 film scores including Gone With The Wind, Dark Victory and Dodge City. In addition to composing film scores, he often conducted the music like the Astaire & Rogers musicals (The Gay Divorcee, Follow The Fleet). In addition, his music was often used in other films. For example, his score for Adventures Of Don Juan (1948) was adapted for the film Zorro The Gay Blade (1981).

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I would guess Cedric Gibbons, 1000+ credits as art director.

---------------

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
A good runner-up might be Douglas Shearer, recording director / supervisor with 900+ credits.

---------------

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here’s an obnoxiously serious response to Alan Smithee, which actually did make me smile quite a bit:

The Director’s Guild agreement with studios makes it very hard for a director to have their name removed from a film, regardless of whether it’s the director or studio that has an issue with the credit. As such, there just aren’t many films that actually have the credit. The name to be used when a director is able to take their name off it was also changed away from Smithee, with the name Thomas Lee being substituted about two decades ago. The thought was that the Smithee name had become so well known that using it defeated the purpose, which was for a director to not receive credit without the audience being signaled that there was any issue. It seems quite likely that there will never be another new usage of the Smithee name.

Today’s dose of useless trivia has been brought to you by my kids actually sleeping at their nap time :D

My honest guess for who it might be would either be someone who works briefly on many, many productions, like a casting director, or someone who was contractually obligated to receive credit regardless of how much or how little work they did on a specific project, like Natalie Kalmus. The question there may be, how make Technicolor productions were made in the period where use of the camera required providing her with screen credit?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here’s an obnoxiously serious response to Alan Smithee, which actually did make me smile quite a bit:

The Director’s Guild agreement with studios makes it very hard for a director to have their name removed from a film, regardless of whether it’s the director or studio that has an issue with the credit. As such, there just aren’t many films that actually have the credit. The name to be used when a director is able to take their name off it was also changed away from Smithee, with the name Thomas Lee being substituted about two decades ago. The thought was that the Smithee name had become so well known that using it defeated the purpose, which was for a director to not receive credit without the audience being signaled that there was any issue. It seems quite likely that there will never be another new usage of the Smithee name.

Today’s dose of useless trivia has been brought to you by my kids actually sleeping at their nap time :D

My honest guess for who it might be would either be someone who works briefly on many, many productions, like a casting director, or someone who was contractually obligated to receive credit regardless of how much or how little work they did on a specific project, like Natalie Kalmus. The question there may be, how make Technicolor productions were made in the period where use of the camera required providing her with screen credit?
If I were now starting this thread I’d add something like “and maked a significant contribution to the film.”

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
My guess would have been negative cutter Mo Henry, but it appears she has a mere 470 credits to her name.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
That would probably be one of MGM's 30's-40's Technicolor consultants, like Natalie Kalmus.
Since Technicolor kept their "patent" on how the system was used by contractually sending one of their own people on the studio production to kibitz on how color should best be shown off.

...Like, giving Dorothy bright red slippers instead of silver ones from the book.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Having watched a ton of Universal horror movies last month, I was going to say Westmore or set decorator Russell Gausman. I'd imagine that Gausman isn't anywhere near 2,000 credits though.

Gausman has 839 credits, but he didn't do the sheer amount of television work that Westmore did, in additional to his film work.

(And by sheer amount of work, I mean contractually obligated to get credited)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks