What's new

What non flagship RECEIVER can power a large Paradigm Reference set up? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
Here's the set up:

Paradigm Studio 100's x 2

Studio CC x 1

Studio 20 x 4

Here's the deal, I'm looking for the cheapest receiver that can power these speakers for a couple of years until I can afford to buy a pre/pro set up or a better more powerful receiver. I've already had an underpowered receiver ruin some speakers, so I want to make sure that the next receiver I get has enough power to not ruin these speakers, but I can't afford a real expensive one just yet. I realize that it takes somewhat of a large amount of power to run the Studio 100's but I'm looking for something that will run them without damaging them.

Also since the Studio 100's don't come shielded how far do they have to be away from the tv?

Thanks for the info!

James

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
You should post how much you have to spend, and what source components you have.

james e m

Second Unit
Well I don't have a budget really, I guess I'm looking for the cheapest option to get the job done. I would say maybe $1000, but if I can do it for less it would be nice. Right now I have Sony DVP-S530D dvd player, but I will be upgrading that later. james

RichardH

Supporting Actor
For $1000, you could get a good receiver w/ pre-outs, then add a stereo amp for the 100's. A decent receiver should have no problem powering a center and some surrounds.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not to sure if there is a $1000 receiver out there to power your studio 100's to there full potential. The Denon 3802, is pretty good rec. in that price range, but you would have to see how what kind of job it would do powering your 100's.

james e m

Second Unit
I realize that I won't get the full potential out of the 100's with a $1000 receiver. I've been thinking about doing the Denon 3802 but will it be powerful enough? I'm just worried about it harming the speakers. I was thinking of going with the 3802 and then in a years time getting that 200w per channel Outlaw amp and use the 3802 as a preamp. But I don't know, this is all new to me. I wouldn't have to be doing this if my old Sony receiver didn't suck so bad! :angry:
james

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the Onkyo 797 will do fine as well. I would say either Denon or Onkyo, maybe Marantz. Not Sony or Pioneer or Kenwood, they will kill your speakers, which was why I upgraded to an Onkyo 797. It's THX certified, so it's got a stable power supply, and it has 7.1 inputs and pre-outs, so you are ready, and it has DTSES Discrete, PLII, and THX Surround EX processing, it's really a good receiver. It'll get the job done, and you will will be in amazement, but it has no chance against seprates.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
if you can swing it, go with a denon 3802 and add a 2 channel amp for the fronts that will do about 200-250 wpc. Use the 3802 as a preamp.

edit:

To save some money, I would even recommend picking up a used 3801, 3600 or 3300 thats in good conidition... I picked up a 3300 (used, but in near mint condition) for about 500 bucks about a month ago.

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
I would look at a used receiver (Pioneer Elite for example) and a 2 channel amp. You can get a good used receiver for $400-$500, use the rest on an amp. Adcom or Rotel come to mind, Check e-bay and/or Audiogon for some great deals.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same spearker configuration and I'm presently using a Denon 3801.

However, I won't take the speakers any louder than -10. I've heard some distortion that makes me think that the Receiver just can't drive them cleanly anywhere close to reference.

I am presently contemplating buying a seven channel amp and turning the 3801 into a prepro.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Do you already have the speaker setup you listed? If not, I would downgrade the 100s to studio 40s and put the extra towards a 2 or 7 channel amp. I would use a subwoofer with the 100s or the 40s, so their really is no need to get the 100s if it totally kills your budget. Note: the 100s are great speakers, and worth their price, I just mean, if you spend that much on speakers, why try to drive them with a mid-fi receiver. I think most people here would agree that the 40s with good amplification will sound better then under powered 100s.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
1000.00 dollars..hmm no problem lots of choices. lets see:

denon 3802 or onkyo 797 700.00 + sherwood am9080 5 channel amp 400.00 close, ok then

denon 3802 or onkyo 797 700.00 + rotel rb981, acurus, carver, parasound hca1000 two channel amps 300.00

HK avr-520 600.00 + HK pa5800 or sherwood am9080 5 channel amps {400.00} or any of the two channel amps above

This is for starters, lots of choices available.

james e m

Second Unit
Well this is the deal right now, the speaker set up I have is this:
Paradigm Monitor 11 x 2
CC-370 x 1
Mini Monitors x 4
The dealer I go to has a deal that if I want to upgrade to the Studio series I can just bring in my 'old' speakers within a year of purchase and I can put the cost of the 'old' speakers towards the new Paradigm Studio set up. Since my crap Sony receiver has damaged some of my speakers already (they are covered by warranty) I need a new receiver to power the Monitor series I already own or else I go without a home theater until October! :frowning: So the money I will be "saving" now because I am being forced to buy a new, cheaper receiver way before I planned means I may have some extra money in my budget that will eventually allow me to upgrade to the Studio series. I realize that if they are underpowered they won't sound the best, but I will be using these speakers for like 10 years or more (which is about 1,000 years in home theater time;) )! So eventually I'll get a nice amp to power them to their full potential. I just don't want to do any damage in the mean time. If anybody has any suggestions as to where to get these 2 channel amps online I'd appreciate it because I'm having a hard time finding them.
Thanks for all the info, especially on the amp side of things because I don't even know what to look for. Right now I'm leaning towards the Denon 3801 if I can find it at a decent price. I'm assuming the 3801 won't have any trouble powering the Studio CC and Studio 20's?
Thanks again everyone!
James
ps Does anybody know how far the 100's have to be from the tv?

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
If you dont't mind used equipment, the Sony STR-DA777ES is a possible choice.If you keep your eye out for one, you can find one for just under $1000. They are hard to come by, but an awsome receiver. The amp section is a 5 x 120W of push-pull amplification. I bought one last year and haven't looked back. Here is a link to one I found the other day:
STR-DA777ES
Best of luck,
Mike

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
People here are not really answering your question because they are assuming you want a perfect setup right now. Either the Denon 3801, 3802, or Onkyo tx-ds797 will power that *entire* setup without any risk of damage from being underpowered. I have been powering my Paradigm Reference setup withe the 3801 for over a month now, and I am no where close to needing more power. The Paradigm dealer that I bought my Studio-CC from is powering the entire Reference series, including the 100's, in his sound room with a Marantz 8200, and has been for about 8 months. The 8200 is in the same power class as those other models.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I, like many others already have, would suggest getting a decent reciever that has preouts for all 5 channels. That way you could get a good 5 channel amplifier that will provide good, clean power to all channels.

Ah crap, my 666th post!

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I myself have a complete Paradigm Reference system (five Studio 40's and two Servo 15's) and the Sony STR DA777ES receiver. The only advice I am going to give is to be careful with the Studio 100's. These are wonderful speakers but for optimal performance they demand a very large room. Ideally each Studio 100 should have six feet clearance between it and the wall and they truly come alive with an amp that can provide 250 watts into each speaker. I test drove a pair of Studio 100's and while it is easy enough to get a bigger amp, my home theater is simply not large enough to have these large speakers sitting that far into the room. I suggest you do a forum search on the Studio 100's and see what you come up with. I think many people who have these speakers will agree with my assessment.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks