What makes Columbia DVD's so damn hard to play...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I own an Apex 600A, and have had very consistent problems playing back Columbia dvd's. Can't play back KRULL, STUART LITTLE, IN THE LINE OF FIRE (SPECIAL EDITION) and about a half-dozen others. What gives? The only non-Columbia title I've had trouble with is ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN from Anchor Bay, which only plays as a squeezed 1.85 i image of a 2.35 movie.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It may be the APEX's problem, Dick; I've never had a bit of trouble playing a Columbia-TriStar disc. Do you get error-read messages on the APEX's front panel display?

No offense, but APEX machines are not at the pinnacle of DVD-player excellence. You might want to look into a new Sony 755.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've got plenty of Columbia titles, no problems here. Still using an old school Panasonic A310.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Columbias have a notorious "jump" on my Toshiba, where every little while the image does a little jump cut type effect. Pretty much consistent across every Columbia disc I own.

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Columbia was one of the first studios to start supporting RCE which I know can wreak havoc on multi-region players. Perhaps this is your problem?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, it's quite possibly you have your Apex set to Region 0, you have to set it to 1 to let those discs run

I second getting a real, name brand player to supplement your Apex