What's new

What is this horror movie? (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
OK, my mom asked what movie this is and I can't think of it, so I'm here to derive knowledge from you guys.

The Facts:
1.Based upon a book, Genre: Horror
2.There is a monster (posibbly 2) in an American Forest, maybe a national park or national forest. In the book, the monster(s) is supposed to be huge but turns out to be just a normal sized monster in the movie.
3.There also might be a woman forest ranger as a main character.
4.Possible release time frame (1983-95)
5.The reason for killing the beasts is to stop them for possibly breeding.

Oh boy, I hope one of you avidly watches B-Movies.

Oh yeah, the movie was probably not the greatest of things to grace the silver screen.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing, Bill. Which would put this film in the 1982/'83 timeframe (I forget exactly when it came out). IMDb, you're up!

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Bill McA wrote:

Quote:

Sounds like Prophecy.

Actually, it sounds more generic than that, which makes it tough to pin down. (Sounds a bit like Grizzly or Claws (a.k.a., Grizzly II), as well.) If it's indeed Prophecy and is "based on a book genre: horror", it is based on the screenwriter David Seltzer's own novel (or is that a novelization on the basis of the film script?) released the same year as the film (1979), Prophecy, New York: Ballantine Books.

I've never seen Prophecy, but if it's anything like The Omen, Seltzer's other formulaically plotted horror mess, I won't have missed anything. Prophecy seems to be rated as a fairly competent technical movie, but an unconvincing, "overly apocalyptic" story.

The Rotten Tomatoes Website summary of the plot:

"Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) directed this 1979 horror film with a strong environmental theme that was especially timely upon its initial release. Doctor Robert Verne (Robert Foxworth) and his wife (Talia Shire) travel to Maine to investigate the effects that a lumber mill is having on the environment. What they find is a cavalcade of wildlife mutations and an even more frightening series of grisly human deaths. A research expedition led by a local Native American (Armand Assante) uncovers the reign of terror of a large and very angry mutant bear."

The movie is available on Paramount HomeVideo DVD, in case you're interested.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
I remember the Prophecy. I liked it a lot and it was quite scary, but alas I was a young kid. I can't remember the lumber mill bit, but I do remember it was some mercury that had spilled into the river that was causing the mutations. The characters had taken up the bears baby thinking it was stranded or maybe it had been injured. Anyway the monster is a big mutated bear trying to get it's baby back. I can't remember any of the main characters clearly, though I do remember the old indian. Hope that helps Travis.
Then I remember another movie about that same time of a monster in the woods terrorizing some campers. There might have been two and one died or was killed. The beast killed everyone except one girl, who he captured and breed with. The closing shot is the mouth of a cave in the woods and you hear the cries of a newborn infant. Maybe that's it????

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
KevinHunt, the film you are thinking of is THE PREY. I liked it, but its not great.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
There are two great scenes that I remember from The Prophecy:
1. All the campers are hiding in an underground bunker while the "mutant bear" rampages above. It gets very quiet and the group starts to wonder if the bear is gone. Conventional horror movie wisdom tells you that he isn't, but one of the dumbass campers sticks his head out of the hole anyway.... slash!
2. The creature comes upon a camper who is zipped up tight in a sleeping bag. The zipper won't un-zip, so the camper starts hopping in the bag to get away. The creature takes big swing and sends the camper flying ten or so feet into a tree, causing down to fly in all directions.
This message brought to you from the deep, dark places in Brad's mind. :D
Brad

Travis D

Second Unit
Ah yes, Prophecy was the movie. Mystery solved. (And I never would've known the title if it weren't for you meddling kids.)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Glad that you found out it is PROPHECY, but from your facts, it didn't sound like it was. I love the film though (despite many hating it), and hopefully so will you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks