What's new

What is this? (A TALE OF TWO CITIES) (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm looking for a little help determining exactly what this upcoming DVD product is. Amazon and some other retailers (but not DVD Planet or DVD Empire) list a 2-DVD set of A Tale of Two Cities to be released next week, 10/2/01.
Here is the listing at Amazon:
A Tale of Two Cities
They don't list the year this is from or exactly what it was (TV miniseries?). Is anyone familiar with this production? The IMDB lists several "A Tale of Two Cities" but I can't match any of them up with this.
I haven't read anything about this release anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT: Looking at the enlarged picture of the cover at Amazon, it is a Masterpiece Theater production. So I think this may be it:
Link Removed
Any comments on it from those who have seen it?
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on September 25, 2001 at 08:43 AM]

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Wow. you can hear a pin drop in here. :)
So nobody has ever seen this mini-series and can comment on it?
I really like the story of A TALE OF TWO CITIES and may want to check this version out if it's any good.
I'd probably prefer to rent it but that may not be easy to do since it seems to be pretty obscure release. I wonder about video/audio quality from a no-name studio.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Well, I have seen this and this is easily the best version of this classic. I have worn out my VHS tape from 1988. Yes it is the Masterpiece Theater version. Well I cant vouch for the quality from BFS on this tape. Lately the transfers from them are getting better. I have a lot of the Masterpiece Theater productions that have been released
by them such as Last Place on Earth, Sorell and Son, and all of the Sharpe(which is as good as Hornblower). Yes it will be very difficult to rent but Deep Discount DVD has it for about $16. Buy and enjoy, over and over again.
Best
Greg

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...or, if you are equipped to play R2/PAL DVDs, I can recommend this excellent 1958 movie version...
Link Removed . . .

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm still waiting for the Ronald Colman version to arrive on dvd...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks