What's new

What is the risk without DVI? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
What are the possible "future" consequences of not having a DVI or firewire interface on and HD set? I will be getting HD via Dishnetwork 6000 with the OTA HT tuner module.

The new HD sets are including the interface but are priced significantly more as new models typically are. Should I ignore DVI and grab a current HD ready set at clearance pricing or just wait on the new DVI sets?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I don't think that anyone can look into the future and give you a reasonable answer. It's a roll of the dice either way.

It could happen that future HDTV will be available only through DVI because that's what the studios want. On the other hand, would the manufacturers piss off all the existing HDTV owners by changing to a new standard mid-stream?

I went with a closeout deal on a non-DVI HDTV. For one thing, I don't care that much about broadcast high def. It costs too much to get into high def, I don't watch sports, and I hate most broadcast TV because of the network "bugs" in the corner.

OTOH, DVDs look great on my new set. I don't know if HD-DVD will require DVI or not...maybe someone can take a guess at that.

If money's not an issue, though, I'd just wait and get the DVI set.

Jan

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I agree with the reply above. I would only add the following thought:

There are more than two and a half million people with HDTV capable sets out there, right now, NONE of whom have DVI connectors. And, there are many more models being sold every day (as we speak) which do not have them. The risk for any manufacturer to simply "abandon" such a group would be huge, and, I believe, a costly mistake.

I knew about the DVI nonsense at the time I bought my 65" RPTV (early June). I had studied it carefully. I let my congressmen know what i thought of this, and also of the Hollings Bill, Then, I bought the set which _I_ believed would get me the best picture that i could afford.

I sincerely believe DVI is a huge mistake for consumers (it does remove the "fair use" concept, as defined by the courts. I applaud Mitsubishi for stepping up to the plate, and talking this one on. Regardless of the outcome, though, I believe that I am at a very low risk for obselescence. There is strength in numbers.

-Bruce

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Money is always an issue.
I have a deposit on a Sony HD non-DVI set at the moment at a good price. I'm betting that old equipment will be grandfathered in and pretty much decided it's not a deciding factor for me at this point. Picture quality is though and I will need to decide whether the new Hitachi or Sony sets are worth the extra money in the month or two.

Thanks Allan. Just signed the petition but I think it's the lawmakers that need to be "tweaked"

If HDTV is downrezzed from 1080i to 480p there will be many furious HDTV owners. Unfortunately HDTV has become a farce in the US.

Dean McManis

Agent
The other point is that HDCP/DVI is NOT a standard because there are other digital connection technologies out there equally likely to come out on top (Firewire/5C, DFAST), or maybe none of the current planned digital technologies will be the winner. As mentioned, the worldwide accepted DTV connection "standards" are RGB and Y-PbPr.

Mitsubishi is the only manufacturer guaranteeing forward compatibility, and they aren't using DVI inputs.

I new about this DTV connection standards mess when I bought my last 3 DTV displays, and I figure that either the manufacturers will come up with a "Rosetta Stone" converter that is hack resistant, or they will have to provide free upgrades for DTV consumers, or they will face some stiff litigation.

But it's not something that I'm going to loose sleep over, and it didn't keep me from buying my current DTV displays.

But it is your call.

-Dean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks