What's new

What is the feature called that allows 5.1 audio bypass to audio out? (1 Viewer)

ericmcintire

Auditioning
Real Name
eric mcintire
Okay so here's what I want to do, I want to hook up my Cable box, Blu ray, xbox and computer up to a new tv (I haven't purchased yet, waiting to find out what this feature is called to look for it). I want there to be an output on the television (hdmi or toslink is fine) that I can plug into my receiver that will allow all the 5.1 signals from the a fore mentioned units to pass through to the receiver so their intended full surround sound will be available and not downgraded to 2.1. I know this can be done on some televisions but I don't know what this feature is called or how to look for it. Please do not tell me to hook up the components separately to the TV and the receiver, I don't want to, nor does my girlfriend comprehend the idea of turning on 3 separate devices and choosing 2 separate inputs just to watch a dvd or a TV show. I looked around and saw articles on what I am trying to do but none really told me what the feature is called or how to look for it. Thanks in advance!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Good luck!

There's only a couple of models that do that, and I don't remember what they are. One brand was a Sony, but don't remember the model. Not all Sonys do it either.

No need to hook up to tv and receiver separately. Get a receiver that everything will run through it. They are fairly cheap now. No worries about signal degradation through the receiver anymore. Now it's all digital. The signal is there or it isn't. But if you want to hook the tv and receiver separately, just get a Harmony remote. It will do all the switching for you, or your girlfriend. All you do is push the button for "Watch TV", or push the button for "Watch Movie". The remote will do everything else. The Harmony is worth every penny. They have them in different price ranges, starting around $70. I love my Harmony remote. So does my wife..........

ericmcintire

Auditioning
Real Name
eric mcintire
Thanks for the welcome :) The problem is I'm switching sources so often and also I use my sleep timer every night when I'm going to sleep, the TV shutting off without the audio doesn't really do the trick :) So the feature I'm looking for DOES exist but it doesn't have a name? Does anyone know of a few models that have it? I'd like to get a new TV that has this. Between 42" and 50". (All this started because someone gave me a cheap surround sound system... I'm that guy..)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, someone will be by with the info you are looking for. In fact, I would count on it.

But in the meantime...one last plug for the Harmony Remotes. They pick your sources for you. In a couple of hypothetical situations: Push "Watch TV" and the remote will power on only your TV, Your Receiver and your cable box while also selecting the appropriate inputs for the receiver and TV. Want to watch a disc? Push "Watch DVD" and it turns off your cable box, keeps the TV on but changes its input and turns on your DVD player. They are really remarkable and why we constantly promote their high WAF (wife approval factor). My wife was always barking at me for having to turn on too many devices to simply "watch TV." She also hated the number of remotes and trying to remember which remote to use to "turn up the volume" or "change the channel." Harmonys do it all.

I will now step aside and see if we can get you the answer about the sets which output 5.1 audio for you.

ericmcintire

Auditioning
Real Name
eric mcintire
Thanks :) I just can't believe it's such a hard feature to find, kinda seems like it makes perfect sense to me :-/

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
...one last plug for the Harmony Remotes

I tried a Harmony and had a horrible time with it. It kept turning things off that should be on, and when I went through the help to fix one thing, another would "break". I finally returned it (one of the few times I took advantage of Costco's generous return policy). Then just a couple of weeks back we lost a remote, so I gave them another try. This one works better, but it took a couple of hours of futzing with the thing. And it still doesn't leave my TV on the correct setting to watch OTA. My problem may be that I'm using fairly old equipment, especially the digital converter set top boxes (my primary box may be 5 years old).

My exprience aside, the Harmony's don't help the OP with his timer problem. But that would be a good feature for Harmony to add - a timer built in to the remote.

ericmcintire

Auditioning
Real Name
eric mcintire
I think I found my solution (for now) It seems that my components (xbox, cable, computer) output the sound from their stereo and 5.1 (TOSlink) at the same time. So I'm gonna have the stereo outputs go to the TV and into my 5.1 and then have my components also hooked directly to my 5.1 via TOSlink. I'll keep the 5.1 on "TV" for the girlfriend and for the timer but when I'm gaming or watching sports I'll just change the input to the specific component. Hopefully someone finds out the name of the feature so I can create my system how I want it but until then I think I've found my "solution". Thanks for all the help! (also, I can't really justify spending $100 for a remote)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
(also, I can't really justify spending $100 for a remote)

Neither could I. I got my Harmony 880 (MSRP $199.99) for $79.99 refurbished (and with free shipping) from Amazon.com. I think I paid $50 or $60 for my refurb 520 at TigerDirect or J&R, and it lists for around $100 or $150, IIRC.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks