What's new

What is the best way to connect 2 cd players to one input on a receiver? (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I want to connect two receivers to the same input port on my receiver. What is the best way to do this? Pro's and Con's?
--Derek

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Derek, you said:
I want to connect two receivers to the same input port on my receiver. What is the best way to do this? Pro's and Con's?
Geez, how many receivers do you need?
biggrin.gif
I know what you meant since I read the subject. Anyway, there are three primary ways to split an RCA input into two. They are as follows:
1) Monster Turbine Y-adapters: These are gold-plated RCA input connectors that plug into your receiver (sold as a pair). Each connector has two RCA inputs at right angles to one another. Audio Advisor sells a pair of these adapters for $20. Here is the link:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...A%20Y-Adapters
I use these with a stereo amp and they work well. The drawback of these Y-adapters is that they are bulky. As a result, I have to use inputs on the end of the bank of inputs on my amp. They won't fit into inputs that are sandwiched between two other sets of inputs on the back panel when you have cables all over the place. Other than that, they work well.
2) "Standard" Y-adapters: Monster, Radio Shack, and many other companies make this type. Basically, you have a short cable that has an RCA input on one end that plugs into the receiver and is split into two inputs at the other end. These are sold in pairs as well (left and right inputs). I'm not sure how much the Monster version of these splitters sells for, but Radio Shack's version are pretty cheap. You should be able to find the Monster type at Circuit City, Tweeter, Best Buy, Good Guys, etc. In addition, you might be able to find the RCA brand at Wal-Mart. Some people say that these types of Y-adapters lead to signal loss and that the aforementioned turbine type are better. I haven't used the cable type, so I can't comment. You shouldn't have problems fitting the cable type into any location on the back panel of your receiver since the split inputs are spread out by the length of the cable.
3) Radio Shack "Piggy-Back" Cables: Radio Shack sells RCA cables (as a pair) in which the RCA connector that plugs into the receiver has an RCA input on it. Basically, the RCA input is right behind the RCA connector pin. I used these briefly, but I didn't like the construction of these cables, so I went with the Monster Turbine Y-adapters instead. I'm not saying the Radio Shack cables are bad. I just switched out of personal preference.
Some audiophiles say that splitting inputs with any of these devices leads to signal loss. I have not found that to be the case with the Monster Turbine Y-adapters. That said, if you do use any of these splitting devices, it is often considered a good idea to only have one of the input components on at a time. Some people feel that having the components on together degrades the sound of the one being used. I haven't tried running both components at the same time in my system, so I can't speak from firsthand experience here. In any event, I would say that you should be able to use an RCA splitter with good results.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

You didn't say if your using analog or digital connections. I have the same type of setup using optical digital cables and solved it with an optical splitter I found at Radio Shack for about 10$ -- can either go from 1 signal and split 2 ways or the reverse and have 2 signals input and 1 output -- just make sure you only have 1 on at a time....
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, good point. I assumed analog inputs were the subject here since I hear that as an issue for people somewhat frequently. Do you know if Radio Shack sells splitters for coaxial digital inputs? I don't need one, but I'm curious.
------------------
My:

brian stiles

Auditioning
unless i am way off here! ...why not just use the cd input and a ld,phono,tape,aux,vcr etc. inputs??? if its analog it shouldnt matter??
-stiles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I guess that makes sense, but I wasn't sure. Unless it's hype, we are told to use special coaxial digital cables rather than RCA cables, and since receivers and pre-amps have specific coaxial digital inputs, I thought one might need a special splitter. In the end, it is just a connector.
------------------
My:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
brian - you're almost right. if he follows your recommendation, he can use any of the other inputs except phono...which is a low-level input.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks