What's new

What is the best progressive-scan decoding chip right now? (1 Viewer)

Brian-TnT

Auditioning
Is the Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) chip considered the best progressive scan decoding chip out there? I am in the market for a nice progressive-scan DVD player, but don't neccessarily want to break the bank. I know the Faroudja DCDi chip is really good, but is it the second best, behind the Si504? Is the Faroudja the best for those of us who aren't "professionals" and looking for a nice sub-$500 P.S. DVD player?

Thanks for the input!
Brian

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I had a Marantz (non Faroundja chip ) and I upgraded to a Panasonic RP-82 ( with Farounda chip ) And I personaly could see a huge jump in image qlty with the Panny. I just upgraded again to the new Denon 5 disk changer DVM-1815. It comes out in a few weeks.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I had the RP82 for a few weeks and felt that the Sil504 chipset in my Denon 3800 bested it easily for film-based image quality. It was very noticable to my eyes in my system. The Faroudja seemed to do a bit better on video-based stuff, but not by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks