What's new

What is "DTV-Link Compliance" ?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I am in the hunt looking for a Big screen for a main TV (75% TV & 25% DVD use) and strongly considering purchasing the Mitsubishi WS-65315 CRT RPTV.

I read a review I found on Audioholics for a different model 55" Mistu that was the "Diamond Series" and in the review they gave a breakdown of all the different series in the Mitsu line. When it got to the "Gold series" one of the added features was "DTV-Link compliance for compatibility with new HD cable box standard."

Now first off I have no idea what line the WS-65315 is but I am assuming its the base "Silver" line. Anyhow our cable provider is Cablevision and we have the upgraded digital I/O through them which is 100% digital signal w/certain channels being HDTV and we have their cable box. Now do I need this "DTV-Link" feature to take advantage of the digital signal and the HDTV signal from my cable provider?

Since 75% of the time we watch regular TV programs I just want to make sure that we have a decent picture for that...

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
hmm, well I don't know what firewire is either, lol. Basically I just want to know if the Mistu WS-6513 is good for me or if I should really upgrade to a higher end model to take advantage of my digital cable which also has 16 channels in HDTV:

http://www.io.tv/index.jhtml?pageType=hdtv

It just threw me off when it said "compatibility with ne HD cable box standards." Like I said we do have a cable box through our provider and I want to make sure that this TV is compatible...

Please help before I waste money...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You definitely do not need DTV Link (Firewire) to work with any digital cable box that I know of.

There *was* going to be a digital cable box made by Sony that would tune an HDTV channel, but did not have an HDTV decoder in it. It would output the HDTV bitstream through Firewire, requiring your display to be Firewire equipped. This unit was never released to the public, likely because so few displays had/have Firewire interfaces.

Firewire, incidentally, is a high-speed digital interface.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Firewire, AKA IEEE1394, AKA iLink.

Firewire transports digital audio and video signals in their compressed form (like MPEG2), unlike DVI/HDMI which transports raw, uncompressed data.

If you want to record HD from one device to another, Firewire is the way to do it.

henning
www.hdblog.net

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.