What's new

What have you upgrade your H/K PA5800 to? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I'm curious as to what amps that owners of the PA5800 have upgraded to and your impressions.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I went from the PA5800 to the Sherbourn 5/1500a.

Sherbourn has a massive power advantage of course. The bass control and impact was the biggest difference. The 5800 sounded a little muddy with less control by comparison. The Sherbourn showed more mid range and treble clarity as well.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Gil,

I have tried various HK, adcom, parasound, carver, citation, fosgate, denon amps (probably forgot a few).

If you like that pa5800 tone, I know someone who might be selling one or two of those pa2400 170x2 amps, same tonal, more and cleaner power...a 2400 for your mains might be your ticket (email John Tompkins for info).

Bob Santos

Agent
I had my PA5800 for a little over year I guess.
I am replacing it with a pair of Citation 7.1's.
One arrived yesterday, and the other should be here shortly.
Ufortunately home renovations have my HT all broken apart, so I wont be able to hook them up right away.
I sure hope they sound better than my HK :)

MarkO

Second Unit
I went from the 5800 to the Signature 2.0. The change was made over a year ago. Up intill yesterday I managed to hold off on selling the PA-5800. I think I may miss owning it :frowning:

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I had two of them and sold one to a friend, but I've held on to the other one, even though I don't currently have a use for it. For what I paid, I hate to part with it, because you'd have to spend at least $1000 to get something signficantly better, and even then the improvement wouldn't be huge.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I have replaced the pa5800 with a citation 7.1 and Sherwood Newcastle AM 9080. In my opinion, the HK sounded quite good for the $$$ but the Sherwood Newcastle for a little more, sounds superior, especially with a more realistic midrange. I have since given the pa5800 amp to my brother-in-law who has it paired with an HK 520 receiver. It's a marginal difference at low volumes -- he can't tell a difference but for me its a subtle difference. Actually, different digital cables seemed to make as subtle a change. However, we didn't test its limits so I would suppose the bigger power supply of the 5800 would be beneficial at higher dbs.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't replace mine per sa just relegated it to the rear and centre channels. I picked up a class A musical fidelity amp to power the mains instead which was a huge jump forward in sound quality. That said I've got no complaints for the HK amp, its a solid multichannel amp that happens to be available for a very low price. When mine was purchased it came with a $999 US sticker price (luckily I got it used:))

Keir H

Second Unit
talk about thread revival :)
I have a HK 5800 and am looking to replace the front two channels for stereo duties to something better. Looking used, mainly at ROtel, Adcom, Acurus, Parasound..those lines. Leaning towards Parasound. Any know if they match with Linn and EAD well? thanks! Any other opinions/ advice will be well taken.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
i haven't posted in a while...but i've gotta chime in.

i actually currently have this amp - picked it up last fall for a great price. i love it! however...i gotta say, if i was ever going to replace it - it'd have to be a rotel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks