What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What happened to the slew of R.E.M. DVD-As that were announced? (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
A whole bunch of albums from R.E.M. were announced a few months ago for release in DVD-A by Warner Bros on 9/23. The list included Out of Time, Monster, Up, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and Green. Since that point, they have dropped off the face of the earth, I have no idea when they will be released...does anyone have any news on these?

728x90

George See

Second Unit
Yes I have a little news, most have been delayed. And there will most likely be further delays.

The most current dates I think we have are, OCT 28 for Out of Time, Monster and Up. And November something for Green and New Adventures in HI-Fi.

I expect further delays seems to be the norm with DVD-A.
I'd check www.musictap.net daily...they have been following the REM DVD-A's for some time now, and always post news when there is any.

2 Weeks till I see REM 3 days in a row in concert, I'm psyched.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Thanks for the news, George! I must have missed those items on MusicTAP, I will keep a closer eye on that site in the future.

BTW, I just saw REM in Austin on Sunday, you are in for a great show!

George See

Second Unit
Oh yeah I forgot about the best of. If it wasn't for the 2 new songs I wouldn't even be buying it. Those upcoming releases for the REM albums is great and all. But I really want more of their IRS albums on DVD-A Murmur in particular.

REM in Austin I remember seeing the set list for that one definently looked like a great show. The only thing that's a little dissapointing is that I don't get Wilco opening on the shows i'm going to. I'm actually stuck working today (sunday) so that I can take next friday off for the show, I'll basically be going to Jones beach, Madison Square Garden, and Boston to see them. First and most likely last time i'll get the chance to waste a whole weekend following a band around :)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I was wondering if Warner might be keeping these R.E.M. releases under their belts until they can release them as CD/DVD-A hybrids.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The best of is also being released in a two-disc redbook CD edition with a second disc of b-sides, soundtrack songs, and such. The track line-up for the best-of has also been revised and now includes "All the Right Friends" in the version that was previously only available on the Vanilla Sky Soundtrack. Here's the tracklist:

Disc One
  1. Man On The Moon
  2. The Great Beyond
  3. Bad Day
  4. What’s the Frequency Kenneth?
  5. All the Way To Reno (You’re Gonna Be A Star)
  6. Losing My Religion
  7. E-bow The Letter
  8. Orange Crush
  9. Imitation Of Life
  10. Daysleeper
  11. Animal
  12. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
  13. Stand
  14. Electrolite
  15. All The Right Friends
  16. Everybody Hurts
  17. At My Most Beautiful
  18. Nightswimming
Disc Two
  1. Pop Song ’89 (acoustic b-side of Pop Song ‘89)
  2. Turn You Inside-Out (from Tourfilm)
  3. Fretless (from Until The End Of The World soundtrack)
  4. Chance (dub) b-side from Everybody Hurts
  5. It’s A Free World Baby (from Coneheads soundtrack)
  6. Drive (from Live Greenpeace)
  7. Star Me Kitten (featuring William Burroughs from X-Files)
  8. Revolution (from Batman And Robin soundtrack)
  9. Leave (from A Life Less Ordinary soundtrack)
  10. Why Not Smile (Oxford American version)
  11. The Lifting (demo version b-side from Imitation Of Life)
  12. Beat a Drum (demo version b-side from Imitation of Life)
  13. 2JN (b-side from Imitation of Life)
  14. The One I Love (live from The Museum Of Television and Radio)
  15. Country Feedback (live from Wiesbaden, Germany, 2003)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They will all have 5.1 mixes. What resolution and what degree of DVD-Video compatability is anyone's guess, though.

Regards,

George See

Second Unit
I'd say it's a safe bet they will be the same high quality as the previous warner releases at least for sound quality. And they will most likely have Dolby Digital tracks for the masses that don't have a DVD-A player. Video content is anyones guess. Although there were video promos for at least Monster and Out of time, so i'd say in light of the features on the previous discs we might see those.

Does anyone know if it's the same guy doing the 5.1 mix that did the previous REM discs. I thought they were very interesting.

Don't forget Athens Georgia Inside Out is being released on DVD on Oct 21. For anyone who hasn't seen this it's basically a documentary on the early 80's athens music scene. It features 2 performances by REM Cuyahoga (if memory and spelling serve me well) and a cover of All I have to do is Dream. It's also got plenty of other early athens band material. Some B52's Stuff. A few interesting performances by the Flat Duo Jets. All in all it's definently an item worth checking out if you like REM and/or Music.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if it's the same guy doing the 5.1 mix that did the previous REM discs. I thought they were very interesting.
I know for sure the Elliot Scheiner, who worked on the earlier REM discs did the work on the upcoming Best of DVD-A. He is one of the best in the business when it comes to sonics and 5.1 mixes.:emoji_thumbsup:

As to the other upcoming releases, I am not sure who did the mastering, but hopefully Mr. Scheiner had his hand in a couple more.

J

George See

Second Unit
Is Elliot Scheiner also the guy that did Queen Night at the Opera? If so that coupled with the REM discs has me convinced he's amazing.

George See

Second Unit
They perform "Swan Swan H", not Cuyahoga, IIRC.
Well apparantly memory didn't serve me well :), I haven't seen the video in years and years. I think they put those two tracks from the video on the "In The Attic" IRS collection too.

Looks like bad news from Musictap.com they've delayed Green and NAIHF till January.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This is pretty much off-topic, but:

On DTS Entertainment's dvd-audio page they have two new titles, one familiar and one I have never heard of.

Everclear's So Much For The Afterglow album. Don't know if this did well chart-wise (I don't listen to the radio anymore) but there it is! :D And Sound samples.

Next, we have an album with sorta jazz-with-an-organ.....trippy-ish....oh hell I don't know what you call this kind of music (maybe Mike Broadman can tell us):

Medeski Martin and Wood, Uninvisible and 1 minute sound samples. I like the drums--I hope that little subwoofer from PartsExpress sounds O.K. (the sub guys seem to like it).

To echo what Al B.C. recently said here, I'm not buying any more discs just because they are hi-res. This album does sound kind of intriguing, but I want to get one of the Chicago discs first, and then that trip-hop Surrounded disc (I know, that is a weird combination but I got tired of listening only to stuff that thirty eight year old people are "supposed" to listen to. Limelight is a great Rush song, but after hearing it the 159th time........).

Now that DTS is hooked up with EMI, maybe now we'll hear Enigma in surround, IMO a match made in heaven as far as surround music goes. And EMI/DTS, if you really are thinking of doing this, pleeeeeeease use their first album MCMXC A.D.! That album still sounds fresh & many, many people know it from movies and other sources (& all their pale imitators). Cross Of Changes would be excellent too, but for some people--not me!--it is too dark sounding. Enigma3: Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! would be my third choice: it still sounds good but isn't as cosmic sounding as the previous two. Their last album Screen Behind The Mirror?--no comment. :frowning: And make sure you throw in some of their really cool music videos. :emoji_thumbsup:

LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the information Lance. I really enjoyed that Everclear disc, and it should be very nice in Hi-res and 5.1. It looks like DVD-A is starting to get on board with more recent artists which should help the format take off with the younger crowd (if anything is going to help).

J

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
All of the "In-Time" 1CD, 2CD, & DVD-Audio and "In View" DVD-Video particulars are now posted at the R.E.M. website:

http://www.remhq.com

Beyond what we have already discussed, the DVD-Audio will have a discography, weblinks, "Bad Day" video, and multi-angle footage of "Bad Day" rehearsals in Vancouver. It indicates that there will be a DTS track, but it does not say anything about what high-rez bit depths or sample rates will be used.

The "In View" DVD-Video will have the following contents:

Music Videos:
Bad Day
All the Way to Reno
Imitation of Life
The Great Beyond
At My Most Beautiful
Daysleeper
Electrolite
E-bow the Letter
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
Nightswimming
The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
Everybody Hurts
Man on the Moon
Losing My Religion
Stand
Orange Crush

Bonus Videos:
Tongue
How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us
New Test Leper
Bittersweet Me
Lotus
I’ll Take The Rain

Trafalgar Square performance footage:
Imitation of Life
Losing My Religion
Man on the Moon

It will also have the option of watching EPK interview excerpts. Sound formats will be stereo, DD5.1, and DTS5.1, but it is not clear if this will be the case for the whole program (including "bonus and performance footage") or not.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks