What's new

what groups do you belong to and why don't you post here? (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a member of this forum almost since the beginning and it use to be the most popular, informative and nicest place to visit. Nowdays though it seems like everyone is reading but not engaging in discussion. You can ask a question here and it will just sit for hours or days with no response. If you ask the same question at avs or the spot everyone really tries to answer you. so why is this? curious...is everyone here a member of the other forums too and just post there?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Well, I can't speak for everyone. but, I only answer questions when I know the answer.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d be interested in some specifics. Not a challenge Gregory, as I don’t frequent all of the areas of this forum. But of the ones that I do read, I find very few threads with no responses.

Of course some people get responses that they don’t like. :D

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I would love to answer every question I see, but other people may have answered the question or I may not know the answer.

Brent

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just an observation, but questions posted on the weekend seldom get the same response level as questions posted on the weekdays. I suppose most people are at work and surfing the HTF and other sites, and provide most of their responses during the week.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
With the no flame policy and rigorous enforcement by the HTF police err Administrators, it gives one pause before responding. I don't cruise too many forums, but once in awhile if I check out the AOL on some hot issue the height of the intellectual discussion is how many f bombs a poster can get off mixed in with accusations that anyone who doesn't agree is a brownshirt, etc.

This forum is a blessing and certainly a challenge to get a point across under the radar and not get tossed off - as it should be.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
well I do read alot of post with out commenting too and I did'nt mean to imply this was'nt a good forum...it is...but for whatever reason it just seems like i am more likely to get more responses when I ask a question elsewhere....thats just been my experience lately....I probably should'nt have started this thread but I was just curious why. As for examples...pick any subject and do a search here and then do a search for the same thing at avs and maybe you will start to see what I mean. some recent searches I have done involve the hitachi line of rptv's and the mx-500 remote....I found almost no information on tweaks etc on the hitachi line here and about three days worth of reading there....I even consolidated all the tweaks in to one post...a wealth of information....posted it here......not one single comment. sorry if anyone found this question offensive...it was not intended that way

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I will generally go to the other areas where I Believe I know something about and Check questions with 0 responses.
The only thing worse than no response is a wrong response, I believe most people are like that.
AVS tends to concentrate on HDTV, PC-related and projectors and a few other 'special' catagories.
For those subjects it is great....but what do I know; I just make crap up and try to confuse people:D :D :D
(I think people have a little more fun here; which I enjoy)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I hang out at Theology and Christian Forums. I am a member at quite a few.

But if it means anything, HTF is still my home page. :)

And I lurk a lot.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dunno about Hardware, but this forum kicks ass on movie related questions and discussion, there's a great team of knowledgable movie buffs here, young and old, mods and members, I'm proud to be an HTF member.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Each of the various HT forums have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think if you're looking to dismantle your Hitachi and replace the 126 resistor with a high capacity verion found only in Italian hair dryers- well AVS is the place.

But try asking anything actually related to films, filmmaking or even DVD software (beyond technical issues) over there and you'll find much better answers over here.

Every forum has their niche- that's why they all exist.

-V

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
good point Vince, I don't discuss movies much anymore so maybe thats what Im missing....but I am finally getting my equipment buying to a stopping point so maybe I should get back to core issues like dvd picture quality....btw I picked up Lotr extended version the other day and it was pretty awesome...I had missed the theater run so this was my first viewing

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, HTF is pretty darn strong in the hardware areas. But, as brother Vince notes, the AVS guys are into some pretty esoteric stuff (which is great).

HTF is broader-based and covers the whole world of home theater. Too, it's a big place and sometimes a post might not get noticed quickly enough for you. But we try to answer all questions.

Check's (or, rather, cheque) in the mail (or, rather, post), Steve! :)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I believe it will reduce edge enhancement, while also increasing the depth of your sound field. ;)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I frequent both forums (HTF & AVS). I come here for interesting and intelligent discussions on just about everything. (From movies to dogs) :) I go to AVS for pure technical help.

I find that AVS has a little too much CRT vs Digital warfare going on. Too much bashing and too little discussion.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you ask the same question at avs or the spot everyone really tries to answer you. so why is this? curious...is everyone here a member of the other forums too and just post there?
I’m a member of AVS and probably don’t have more than 20 posts over there. Pretty good information (I can’t say better than Vince), but its value lies in the more esoteric technical stuff and not at all (IMO) in films.

I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about which subwoofer reproduces explosions at the loudest possible volume with the least distortion—I’m much more interested in reasoned opinions of recent and classic films—and I find a lot of that here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks