What's new

What freq is sub getting when in large mode? (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HK avr 210 and in analog mode when picking surround off(stereo mode) it only lets you pick the large setting and you can choose to have the sub on or off. I chose sub on because I have small satellites that go to 90hz. The question is what freq range is going to the sub? It doesn't say in the manual and I was curious if I was missing some bass.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Now I know some people are using the large setting for their front speakers and using their sub in two channel mode. So what freq range is your sub getting?

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I would think that your sub would be getting the full range signal (sub on) as well as your satelites (set to large) in your scenario.

Normal recommendations is to set your speakers to small, set (if possible) your receiver's crossover somewhere above 90hz (above 90hz goes to satelites, below 90hz goes to sub) and sub to "on". Play with it a bit and find out what sounds best to you.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
It seems that the receiver makers do not have a standard. It really forces a large directive with a stereo analog source ? I suspect that its sub crossover is in the digital domain so that it can't be used in analog mode. Then it could send anything or almost nothing to the sub (as some units do with stereo and mains large). Doupt the manual will be any help. Suggest you get a low frequency test tone disc, disconnect the main speaker wires and actually measure what the sub is getting. If its getting everything, then you'll have to use the sub's onboard crossover for analog stereo. Maybe you would be better off letting the HK decode your stereo source (unless its a turntable) so that you can use its crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks