What's new

What dvd recorder should i get,panny e20, e 30, or something else? (1 Viewer)

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Just looking for feedback from anyone with experience with either of these and what kind of and how many problems you may have had.I think 300-350 dollars is good but only if they work correctly and i am fed up with trying to get my computer recorder to recognize a signal coming in.So i would like a recorder that actually works.Please help me out

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Both of those are previous generation machines. Im pretty sure both suffer from the black level bug, which causes all recordings to have a boosted IRE level. It results in most recordings have blown out whites and wahed out blacks. Not major, but alot of old VHS recordings can tranfer rather poorly. I would recccomen the DMR-E50. I just picked it up for a little over $400, but ive seen it online for as low as $375.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
The '30 has flexible recording, that lets you set (easily} the maximum recording length to optimize quality. That's nice. The '20 has a better remote.

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys jeremy do you own the E50? have had any problems with it.I figure it would be about 100 bucks more than the E20 which is kind of alot does it have a hard drive or something else that makes it so much more? thank you again

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
It costs $100 more because its newer. The 30 retailed for $500, and the 50 is its replacement. As I said above, the 30 has black level problems, so the 50 will have better recording quality.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The DMR-E60 is the same machine as the E50, except it adds a few features, such as a firewire digital input (for a digital camcorder) and a multi-format media card slot (for digital photos, etc.).

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
rick, I currently own the e50, and have had time with both a e20 and a e30, I say go for at least the e50, I got mine off of ebay new for $402 shipped, and I got it in 2 days. :emoji_thumbsup: , the older genration, due suffer from "black level bug" I bought a 100 pack of Maxwell dvd-r from ebay again, for $60 shipped and have burned around 40 discs so far with no problems, you can record between 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, otr 6 hours of video content per disc.

Here is a deal for anyone with a dvd-ram recorder, check your local SEARS, they have Panasonic dvd-ram 4.7 gb disc on sale for $2.99 each, orginally $14.99 each, I know you can find dvd-ram discs for cheaper, but at least these are top of the line panny discs.

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input guys.Looks like i wont be getting the 20 or 30 maybe ill wait until the 50 is cheaper or just keep trying to get something to work with my computer dvd recorder.I just would like to put my vhs recording of the patriots super bowl win onto dvd before the thing deteriorates too much

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Hi guys say quick question there are a lot of dual layer prerecorded dvd's I assume the dual layer is for extended playing time are these (and don't laugh please) recorders able to record on two layers or is all the media available for recording single layer. Thanks Guys still a little new to this (DVD recorders) thats why I'm asking.

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
yes there are dual layer blank dvd-r, I have not used tham yet, I just bought my second Panny E-50, tonight from Sears it came to $536 with tax. :D

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Say Joe can all DVD recorders record on dual layer media or is this so new that you have have to check to make sure of this capability. Also what does your instruction manual say about this feature could you please quote from the manual. I think I'm sold on these things now what to do with all these VCR's I have. Thanks! :b

Tom j.

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tom, All I can speak about is the panny e50, because I have two of them, I know you can record up to 12 hours on dual sided dvd-ram, and dvd-r

If you are looking for a Panasonic E-50, and can wait a few weeks, I will be selling my black E-50, around the 3rd week of August, I am asking $350 shipped

StephenL

Second Unit
I'm not aware of any consumer dual layer DVD recorders or recordable dual layer media. Do any exist?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was holding out for blank dual-layer discs, but I've heard that's just not gonna happen anytime soon. I got the Philips DVR-985 which for the most part works great. I do wish there were at least 2-sided blanks available though. I had to split my recording of the Prince Charles wedding onto 2 discs since it runs over 2 hours and I didn't want to use the lower-quality settings (my Pioneer player squeezes everything recorded in LP or lower speeds too!)
DVD+RW is definitely the way to go for flexibilty- you can add chapter stops after making a recording, which is one of the biggest reasons why I'm putting my old tapes onto DVD. I like the old TV commercials from over 20 years ago, and now I can skip to them directly instead of fast-forwarding through hours of tape to find a certain one. The only problem with the +RWs is that the Playstation 2 can't play them, but it can play the +Rs (non-rewritable)- on those you can only put in chapter stops as it's recording though.
I did get the "black-level bug" trying to copy one old Beta tape of TV recordings- the contrast got ridiculous. Is there any known way to fix this problem?
BTW I'd like to know what the coolest/strangest thing is (non-copyrighted, of course) that people have put onto recordable DVD?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Compusa has the E50 on sale this week for $399. Surprised it's discounted already. I have the E80 on order from One Call.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I am waiting. I was really close to getting the Panny E80, but I want component input. The Philips has this, but no hard disc. Supposedly they were going to include one, but dropped it.

For more DVD info, check out AVSForum, DVD section. I have been research DVD Recorders for the past 2 weeks and have found more info over there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=18

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm still waiting, too. I actually had an order placed for a E80, but cancelled it. In my case, I want a player with a hard drive and firewire digital input. Component video input is not on my wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks