What's new

What DVD player will go best with the Infocus X1a? (1 Viewer)

JesseW

Grip
hey guys!

Im looking to get a DVD player to go with my soon-to-be Infocus x1a... i dont want to spend a ton of money, and dont need recording ability.

My main concern was i read that they no longer put the deinterlacing chip in the X1a like they did in the X1... and i heard that you must have a good DVD player to get the best quality.

I will be hooking it up via S-Video. I would like to go with Pioneer, but welcome to any and all suggestions!

Thanx guys!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jesse, I would buy the X1. Go to Google.com. If you do buy the X1a, you'll need a good progressive scan player. If you hook up to S-video(BAD IDEA) on X1a, the picture quality will suffer due to no Faroudja de-interlacer in X1a. That's one thing that makes the X1 great. You can use a cheap DVD player and run it in interlaced mode thru S-video input, and get a great picture.

JesseW

Grip
So the X1a isnt very good when it comes down to using Svideo? So Ebay should be a good friend in getting an older X1 instead of the X1a?

Thanx!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
People sign on to this board without reading the rules, and then they post without reading the rules. Please note that the Basics area is not the place for this sort of query. You're asking for advice about a DVD player. Guess where DVD players are discussed? A/V Sources, which is where this thread is.

I've been moving inappropriate threads out of the Basics area for more than a year now, always appending an explanation for the move. Henceforth, no more Mr. Nice Guy. I'm just moving the threads period and hope that everyone catches on.

Benson R

Supporting Actor

I would perhaps consider the x2. I believe the x2 is only slightly more then the x1a and it has higher lummens rating. If you can get the x1, that is really the way to go, but I always hesitate to buy something like a projector used, due to the value of the product being affected severely by how many hours are on the lamp.

If you cant get the original x1, you can still get a great dvd picture by partnering it with a very good progressive scan player. I get great results with the liteon 2001 upscaling player, which unfortunately is discontinued. You can check ebay for this one used, or as an alternative Zenith makes a similar upscaling player.

If forget the model number, but there is a sticky thread about it in the audio video forum. Read the thread carefully because only certain firmware versions will do the upscaling over the component output which is necessary if you want to use it with your x1a or x2.

There is a lot of debate over the merits of the upscaling players (especially when connecting it to a display that must downscale it back to 480p) but most agree that the picture they produce at 1080i, is comparable to some of the very best progressive scan players which are many many times the cost of the cheapo progressive players you see in the store.

Sorry if I am only adding to your confusion, but if you look around the HTF and the avsforum, you can educate yourself very quickly.

JesseW

Grip
Cool, thanx for the advice. Im thinking ill go with the X1 since ebay still has some new ones in the box. Also, i dont need the brightness of the X2 as in the room i am currently in, i spraypainted (sounds ghetto, but works very well for .99 a can!) the windows black and prepped them just right, so even in the middle of the brightest of days, its pitch black in that room ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks